Skip navigation
DreamingFilms
Currently Being Moderated

Which MAC to buy in order to get full GPU acceleration mode?

Apr 19, 2013 1:46 PM

I've been asking these question for quite long now, but no one seems to get ir right, is there anyone that can speak out of experience on these matter?

Looking for CUDA support on both Premiere and After Effects.

The compatible video cards shown in the Adobe website doesn't come on actual mac.

Thanks,

Flavio.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 3:49 PM   in reply to DreamingFilms

What about the very old and outdated Quadro 4000?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to DreamingFilms

Does After Effects offer GPU acceleration?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to DreamingFilms

I bought the GTX285 on ebay for $100.  It is awesome.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

Does After Effects offer GPU acceleration?

In After Effects CS6, you can use certified NVIDIA GPUs to create ray traced 3D compositions. You would get acceleration when working with those comps over rendering with CPUs only.

What is currently supported:

After Effects tech specs: http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/tech-specs.html

Premiere Pro tech specs: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

More GPUs will be available in the next versions of these applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to DreamingFilms

The M parts are Mobile, aka wimpy GPUs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to DreamingFilms

DreamingFilms wrote:

Looking for CUDA support on both Premiere and After Effects.

The compatible video cards shown in the Adobe website doesn't come on actual mac.

If you're looking for officially supported GPUs on the Mac right now, then you're very limited to a small set of Mac-only PCI-E cards for the Mac Pro, or certain integrated ATI/AMD mobile chips in the previous iMacs.

If you're a bit more adventurous, then you have a few options open to you.

• Get the latest iMac and add the nVidia GPU to the CUDA text file.  Your performance will be sub-optimal as Chris points out: they're mobile chips.
    • Get the latest Macbook Pro and add the nVidia GPU to the CUDA text file.  See the above note regarding performance.
    • Get a Mac Pro with an upgraded ATI/AMD card, and add it to the OpenCL text file.
    • Get a Mac Pro with the baseline ATI/AMD card, and purchase the newly available Sapphire ATI/AMD 7950 Mac card aftermarket.  Add that to the OpenCL text file.
    • Get a Mac Pro with the baseline ATI/AMD card, and purchase the newly available EVGA GTX680 Mac card aftermarket.  Add that to the CUDA (or OpenCL, if you're brave...) text file.
    • Get a Mac Pro with the baseline ATI/AMD card, and purchase any PC-based GTX card.  Add that to the CUDA (or OpenCL, if you're brave...) text file.

Most of these options require that you run the latest version of OS X, 10.8.3.  The last option is noteworthy because you WILL NOT have the grey Apple screen when the machine boots.  Once the video card's drivers are loaded from within OS X, you'll be fine.

The questions you have to answer for yourself are: how technically capable are you, and how much money do you want to spend?

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to DreamingFilms

DreamingFilms wrote:

Hi Kevin thanks for the answer,

I saw the list of compatible video cards with GPU aceleration, the thing is that none of them show in tha actual Mac's

The only ones supported for MacPros that would work with both After Effects ray traced 3D rendering acceleration, and Premiere Pro's Mercury Playback Engine are the Nividia Quadro 4000, Quadro FX 4800, and the GTX285. The Nvidia 650M (1GB) in the latest MacBook Pro would also work across both applications.

DreamingFilms wrote:

The current imac has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX or 650M, same as the current MacBookPro, that's what I don't undertsand, you see, they don't show up in your list.

As far as they being officially supported in Premiere Pro CS6, they are not. The 650M in the iMacs came out after they were included in the MacBook Pro, so that is why it was certified and the iMac was not. You can look around the net for a well known workaround, if you fall into this category.

FYI, there are two versions of the 650M, one with 500MB of VRAM and one with 1GB VRAM. Choose the latter for official support in Premiere Pro Next, an upcoming version of the software. The 680MX sounds like it has plenty of VRAM at over 2GB, so that would be preferable for Premiere Pro Next.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to DreamingFilms

DreamingFilms wrote:

So, let me see if I got it right. The only mac available to support the feature is the Mac Pro cause you can change the graphic card right?

However in the latest iMac and MacBook Pro you can anable Mercury playback but with a workaround, is that so? An will it be as efective as the MacPro's?

From an all-out performance perspective, the iMacs and Macbook Pros won't have available to them:

• the memory
    • the cores
    • the disk space
    • the flexibility with GPUs

that the Mac Pros will have.  That's one of the reasons the Mac Pros are so damned expensive.  Will the former perform as well as the Mac Pro will?  In certain tasks, maybe?  I don't know; I've never used Premiere Pro or AE on a mobile platform.  And that's what both the iMacs and Macbook Pros essentially are.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to DreamingFilms

DreamingFilms wrote:

I'm going to allow myself these question since it's not an Apple forum, what about hackintosh? will it recognize any super graphic card for GPU acceleration?

Assuming you get OS X running on a Hack, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a PC-based GTX card working with PPro.  You will, of course, have to add it to the text file, and it won't be supported by the folks at Adobe.

Mac-specific cards won't be needed in this case.  They're only required if you want the Apple boot screen on a Mac, as well as PCI v2.0 speeds (again, on a Mac).  But since you're talking about turning a PC into a Hack, none of that is a concern.

jas

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points