Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Paste Special from Word, nothing pasting in

Apr 21, 2013 3:15 PM

I'm trying to paste into DW some word paragraphs. I'm doing the paste special to retain paragraphs, edit paste special, but nothing is pasting in.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Are you in Design View? 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Edit > Paste Special > Text only really is the safest method because it strips out all the MS Junk code. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 9:47 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Hi Kevin,

Have been an author for many years and I have not found a perfect solution for paste so far. I am sure you did try the Text with Structure option when pasting content, but if you did not, it would be worth trying.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Here's how I generally deal with Microsoft Word:

Copy paragraph by paragraph into Code view.

Or, copy the entire document into a text editor, such as Notepad and change it to Plain Text, whereupon it will copy into Design view, but sometimes only paragraph by paragraph.

I charge per hour, so if a client gives me a huge Word document, I charge for the labor. If I'm doing a contract, I charge more if they tend to use Word.

Oh, and remember, a web page that is all (or mostly) text probably won't be read. You should find some artwork, photos and other elements to break up the text. Websites typically display at 72 DPI, which will cause eye fatigue. So break up the big blocks of text and give the eye something else to look at.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 5:27 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Most likely you have critical HTML errors in the code to which you are pasting or the stuff you are pasting from.  Without seeing your code, it's impossible to know for sure.

Run a validation check to find errors.

http://validator.w3.org/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to kevin4545

If your cursor is in the Code View pane (assuming you are using Split View, which is what I use), any text from another application pasted into there will come in as plain text, no formatting.

So, I'll select a paragraph in Word, type "<p>" Paste and type "</" (which will cause Dreamweaver to autoclose the paragraph tag as </p>) and then go back to the Word Document to select the next paragraph.

Works every time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Have you tried saving it as an HTML doc in Word, and then opening THAT in DW, cleaning up all the MS junk and then copy the code into the existing document?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 7:25 PM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

No longer, that did work, don't even need to save as html, just paste as text into code and then copy paste that into design. But why all the hassle here?, why paste special not go into design from the outset? Don't think there is anything to clean up, really.

Coming from Word, it's really "flukey" when you consider that there could be any of (however many) fonts you have on your system that may not be activated in DW or even "web friendly", spacing isn't always single line, indentations, margins and so much else that looks great in a Word doc but not necesarily in a web page. I prefer not to go from Word to DW, using Notepad instead. Word to Notepad can be just as bad though. If I HAVE TO, I'll do just what you did, but sometimes I have big Word docs, (250kb and up) and it's a real hassle with that much text.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to kevin4545

I use a Mac, with Microsloth Word 12.3.6 (Office 2008). Any text that you copy directly into the code portion of Dreamweaver (and I have tested this with both CS3 and CS 5.5) will come in as plain text. Of course, you need to add paragraph marks to it, but you can do that one of two ways:

1. Copy the text in Word.
    2. Go to the insert point you want to go to in Code view (or in the code box in Split view)
    3. Paste the text; it will come in without Word formatting.
    4. Select a paragraph of text.
    5. Press [F5] to refresh
    6. In the Properties panel (below your website working area) in the Format selector, choose Paragraph.

Or,

1. Copy the text in Word.
    2. Go to the insert point you want to go to in Code view (or in the code box in Split view)
    3. Paste the text; it will come in without Word formatting.
    4. For each paragraph, in Code view, type "<p>" to begin each paragraph and go to the end of the paragraph and type "</" (Dreamweaver will automatically close the open paragraph tag).
    5. Press [F5] to refresh.

This does work on Macintosh. I believe it may also work in Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to mhollis55

I'll go one further.

at step 4, after I insert the first <p>, I usually "highlight" the space between the first two paragraphs and then press CTRL+F and in the find&replace window I type </p><p> in the bottom half and press "replace all". Then I manually close the tag on the last paragraph and reapply the source formatting from the Command menu. This doesn't work if you already have a bunch of code in the page though.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points