Skip navigation
sdhjf55
Currently Being Moderated

Elements fails to open installs correctly

Apr 21, 2013 7:58 PM

Tags: #elements_11 #fails_to_open #no_errors_on_install

Intalled elements 11 on Dell laptop with Windows 8 64bit, intel 3000 graphics with latest drivers. No errors but when I go to open elements from photoshop or new project, program begins to load but disappears. If I go to uninstall, I am told program is open but it s not visible in running applications or on screen or task bar. Reinstalled and installed several time with same result.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to sdhjf55

Hi,

Restart your machine and then try to open the application by right click on it and choose "Run as Administrator".

-Shikha

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to sdhjf55

If Shikha's suggestion does not help, then I would investigate that Intel HD video chip, and its driver. Did you check with Dell, to make sure that you have the latest video driver? An obsolete video driver is a main cause for PrE to not launch. Intel makes great chips, but their support for video drivers is horribly lacking. That is why I recommend either an nVidia, or AMD/ATI video card/chip - they update their drivers about 1x per month. Now, Dell does rewrap most video drivers, but are usually quick to do so - if the mfgr. has written updated drivers, and Intel seldom does.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to sdhjf55

sdhjf55

When you open Windows 8 64 bit to the Metro Screen, to the far right of that Screen, do you see an App thumbnail for Adobe Premiere Elements 11?

If you go to the Desktop App on the Metro Screen to open to the Desktop, is there a Premiere Elements 11 icon showing there?

How many monitors do you have in your present computer environment? If more than one, how many of them are On?

Are you confirming that you cannot open Premiere Elements 11

a. by clicking on the Desktop Premiere Elements 11 icon

and/or

b. clicking on the Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe file or Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file in the path of:

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

and in the Premiere Elements 11 Folder are the two files to launch the program. The Adobe Premiere Elements.exe bypasses the Welcome Screen.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to sdhjf55

sdhj55

I need to sign off for the day after this post. But I did want to respond to your latest information before doing that. I will be back tomorrow to check out your progress.

Have you gone down the road where you ran your computer through ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner)? And, after that have you gone into the Registry to remove all traces of Premiere Elements 9 and 11 before any reinstalls? Do not proceed with any Registry clean ups unless you are comfortable with them. But, it should be done.

Do you have any other photo or video editors on this computer and, if so, are you having any problems with them? For example, do you have Windows Live Movie Maker? If so, give that a try to see if you can get that to work. Do not bother looking for a Windows DVD Maker in Windows 8. Unfortunately that got discontinued by Microsoft for Windows 8.

Also, at this point, please deactivate Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements (Help Menu/Deactivate) before each uninstalling of either of them. Then reinstall when you feel that you have a clean machine.

Has Dell gone over your laptop to assure you that it is working properly with regard to the Windows 8 64 bit installation? What about this upgrade from Vista 64 to Windows 8 64 bit? Were two different computers involved or was the upgrade done within one computer? Since you are working with an Adobe purchased, registered, current version (Premiere Elements 11) have you contacted Adobe T/S for any free T/S associated with installation failures. You might want to look deeper into the video and audio card drivers - maybe start by uninstalling and reinstalling the video card driver. (See Device Manager/Display Adapters.)

When the problems first set in, was the problem onset about the same time that you added any new software and/or plug-ins and/or codecs to your computer?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to sdhjf55

As PrE interfaces more intensely with the video driver, than does PSE, it is fairly common for PSE to launch, when PrE will not.

1. What is your video card/chip's make and model?
    2. What is the version of video driver, that you have installed?
    3. Is that the latest version from the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site? [Note: if one has a Dell, HP, Lenovo, or similar, they will likely want to go to the mfgr's. Web site, as many compter companies re-wrap the video drivers for their version of the OS. Also, do not trust Windows, or any driver utility, to tell you if you have the latest video driver.]
    4. This article goes into more detail on video drivers: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/948651?tstart=0

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to sdhjf55

Well, with the Intel embedded video chip, the Intel Web site might be the only recourse.

Intel makes great chips, but, unfortunately, does not have good driver support.

For general computing, that lack of driver support is not that big a deal, but with a program, like PrE, it is very, very important. That is why I do not recommend going with the embedded Intel chips for Image, or Video editing. I will recommend nVidia, or AMD/ATI, instead. With a laptop, that is not so easy.

Wish that I had more to offer, but the embedded Intel chips are just a very weak link, when doing Video editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to sdhjf55

sdhjf55

How are you doing? Any break throughs yet?

I have been studying your thread and have pin pointed some more questions to ask. I did not want to take anything for granted.

1. Back in your post #4 in this thread you wrote

"I ran as administrator which got me to the Welcome to Adobe and I can pick photoshop or elements. photoshop works but when I pick elements it starts to load, blue progress bar and circle show. After a minute everything disappears. I believe all drivers are up to date".

Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 are standalong programs. If you use the Premiere Elements 11 desktop icon that typically comes with the program (initiating Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe), that should be opening Premiere Elements to its Welcome Screen where your choices are Organizer or Video Editor/New Project or Existing Project. There is no choice for Photoshop Elements. Did you mean Organizer when you wrote Photoshop?

2. When you install Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit, do you accept the Default location in

Local Disk C/Program Files/Adobe and then have the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Folder in the Adobe Folder there.

How much free hard drive space do you have where Adobe Premiere Elements 11 is on the hard drive? How much install and available RAM does your computer have? Who did the upgrade from Vista 64 bit to Windows 8 64 bit? A shop or you?

Did you get a chance to do the ccleaner regular and registry maintenance?

One of favorite statements is "Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes." Keeping that in mind, have you seen this Premiere Elements 11 Windows 8 64 bit Adobe thread on the issue of Premiere Elements 11 not opening? The end of the thread gets interesting when it talks about some "fixes".

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4773135

Among many others things, one of the posts in this thread goes to running Premiere Elements 11 from a new User Account with Administrative Privileges. Have you tried that yet?

We will continue to watch for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points