Skip navigation
Gene_M333
Currently Being Moderated

Pan and Zoom on Photos in PreEle 11

Apr 21, 2013 9:30 PM

Tags: #11 #zoom #pan

I am doing a combo pic an video project.  I want to give the photos the Ken Burns Pan and Zoom effect.  Some of my old photos that I scanned in are causing issues with Pan and Zoom.  When I try to add the effect using pan and zoom in the tools menu, the frames dont allow me to start/end with the complete photo.  I loose easily half the photo.  I know I am at fault here, there must be a simple answer.  Any help is appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to Gene_M333

What are your Project Settings (listed under the Edit menu)?

Have you resized each photo to no larger than 1000x750 pixels before you brought them into your project?

Also, before you brought them into your project, have you gone to the Preferences (under Edit on a PC) and unchecked the option to Scale Stills to Frame Size?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Gene_M333

You can resize your photos with Photoshop Elements or with the free program Irfanview.

http://www.irfanview.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to Gene_M333

Standard DVD video is only 720x480 anyway -- so resizing your photos to 1000x750 still gives you more resolution than your final product.

In fact, you may even see improvement in your video, since manually resizing your photos often gives you better looking pictures than letter the program down-rez for you.

Do you have Photoshop Elements?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to Gene_M333

Gene_M333 wrote:

When I try to add the effect using pan and zoom in the tools menu, the frames dont allow me to start/end with the complete photo.  I loose easily half the photo.  I know I am at fault here, there must be a simple answer. 

My experience is limited, but when I use Pan and Zoom, the green frames that are offered match the aspect ratio of my video.  In my case, it is 16 by 9 because my video sources and project settings are 16 by 9. 

If your photos are square or, otherwise don't match the aspect ratio of the project, the green rectangles might not match.

Along with Steve's suggestion of resizing, would cropping your photos to the aspect ratio of the video project help.  Alternately, perhaps starting a new project with project settings that match the aspect ratio of the scanned photos might help. 

FWIW, I have recently finished a few projects that mix video and photos and don't resize to a smaller pixel content.  Here is a 12 second sample with four slides that were shot with huge RAW files and added directly to PrE with no resizing at all.  https://vimeo.com/64315013

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to Gene_M333

In Photoshop Elements, go to the File menu and select Process Multiple Files. With this tool you can resize an entire folder of photos in one batch.

Set them to save to a new folder and it will not overwrite your existing high resolution photos.

If you leave the Resize settings to Constrain Proportions, you need only set width to 1000.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to Gene_M333

Glad you got it worked out, Gene.

Don't forget to mark your question as answered!

And, if you'd like to know more about both Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements, be sure to check out my free 8-part Basic Training tutorials for each at http://Muvipix.com. (Just type "Basic Training" in the product search box.)

You can find a direct link to the Premiere Elements Basic Training tutorials here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points