Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

cinema 4d integration

Apr 22, 2013 1:15 AM

Ive been reading about the next version and cinema 4d integration but I cant figure out if cinema 4d come with AE or do you have to purchase separately.      Is it just a plug in for importing? Can you still use AE without it? I red that its the lite version and I cant see anywhere where to purchase it.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to Arrakis

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 1:32 AM   in reply to Arrakis

It's a separate program. The Cineware plug-in merely acts as a go-between to trigger C4D functions and update the rednered result on the AE layer. Nothing more. so yes, it's just soem sort of 3D plug-in after a fashion. one of the more sophisticated kind, but still plugged-on and far from enhancing AE's own 3D space. More ponderings:

http://myleniumblog.com/2013/04/18/cinelement/

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 3:07 AM   in reply to Arrakis

Each his own... I prefer modeling to the rest, though I don't have much to do with UV-ing... The rest is very much personal view and preference. Contrary to you, I think AE is cracking and tearing at its seams and its infrastructure needs to change considerably. The program could learn a thing or two even from Maya...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to Arrakis

See this list of feaures (or rather lack thereof) of C4D Lite: http://www.toolfarm.com/images/uploads/vendors/maxon/ProductComparison -Full.pdf

I'm still very curious about the upgrade pricing for AE and also upgrades from Maxon to a C4D version one can actually work with.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to Klaus Brandenburg

After seeing the NAB demos at the Adobe and Maxon booths, I decided to switch from Blender 2.66  (which is pretty amazing these days) for C4D. Its "dynamic Link" with AE makes it a more useful tool for the kind of mograph stuff I do.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 5:39 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Yes but Blender is free and Cinema 4D is not.  OK so a LITE version will be available with AE CS7 but that is of no benefit to CS6 users.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to DumbMarine

My decision as a professional editor to switch  is motivated by the extra abilities as tools that A& C4D with have when working together. Cost is not as much a factor as capability. I will also be buying the Studio version since Lite will not have all the functions I want.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to DumbMarine

Yes but Blender is free and Cinema 4D is not.  OK so a LITE version will be available with AE CS7 but that is of no benefit to CS6 users.

People who always have had a genuine need for 3D capabilities will long have established a workflow with a real 3D program, whichever one that may be. If you have sat on your hands all the time and waited for this to happen, then why the fuss? You've managed to go without any of that thus far... No point in getting hot-headed about fictional scenarios and might-have-beens, even more so considering what the whole thing is, after all: It's just another 3D plug-in which incidentally happens to come as a trimmed down "full" 3D program, yet at this point falls under the same severe limitations as any 3D in AE - bad 3D navigation, no genuine interaction with AE's "other" 3D layers, no interaction with otehr plug-ins and so on...  It may work on some level, but frankly I could imagine a million ways of doing things more efficiently using other methods and plug-ins. May be by the time we have CS8 or CS9 it will have evolved into something usable, but for now it's pretty limited and not much to write home about, despite the marketing buzz proclaiming otherwise...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Thanks.  So what u are saying Mylenium is that C4D in AE CS7 is lame?  I have had C4D since version 7 but unlike u commercial boys (and girls) cannot 'off' the cost to customers or employing companies (the same thing).  For 'true' artists (i.e. those not paid for a job - definition of an artisan) this is a shame as blender has a clumsy interface and C4D does not.  Your replies were useful though.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to DumbMarine

LOL! Not geting paid doesn't neccessarily make you a true artist but could mean your're simple not talented, you're missing some business skills or you are not focused enough. I don't know what's your issue but if you're lacking the funds you should be happy that there's such a powerfull and free app like blender and learn to use it like other true artists have. BTW you might read this about the difference etween artist and artisan.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to DumbMarine

Personally I LOVE Blender 2.66. I took the time to go thru several weeks of intensive training and found the interface very well designed. It has more to offer then C4D in terms of modeling tools, GPU utilization, sculpting, built in photo realistic rendering all for free. I did not really want to switch to C4D. But I do a lot of mograph in AE so it seems a smart way to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to DumbMarine

Personally I'm not impressed with Cineware and therefore yes, it could be considered "lame". The demos look underwhelming and poorly planned and as I wrote in my article give the exact opposite impression - it's one hell of a clumsy workflow. AE itself not having received any enhancements to its own 3D space and Cinema4D being devoid of an interactive "preview" renderer like in modo or Lightwave's VPR renderer is apparently not a good combination in the first place. I also don't get why they haven't at least implemented some typical VFX workflows natively like projection mapping with AE's cams and Projection Man. It just doesn't feel right and there's so many loose ends... There's a lot of work to be done to make this better and by that I don't mean to just give people C4D Studio to stuff their mouth. Adobe and Maxon have to be careful and make smart decisions about future versions of this or they'll be forever locked into this. The rest is neither here nor there - being poor doesn't necessarily make you a better artist and Blender, while having a completely different UI paradigm than most other 3D programs and a different workflow order, is perfectly workable. Pardon me for saying this, but you're complaining about a luxury problem. You should have seen 3D Studio (for DOS) 20 years ago or some other 3D program back then and trying to figure out complicated things without resorting to video tutorials or chat help from friends. Compared to that it's damned easy to get into 3D - not that I necessarily agree so many people should, but that's another topic...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to Klaus Brandenburg

Thanks for the responses.  You indeed do not need to be talented to be an artist since art 'is in the eye of the beholder' (or creator in this instance).  Indeed look at the Turner Prize winners and exhibits!  You do however need to be talented to be an artisan.  How else would you sell your product of skills?  Talent and art may or may not enter a jobbing artisans work as it is the commissioner of that work that may indeed determine this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:56 AM   in reply to lasvideo

On Blender.  I have indeed played with this over a period of a few years.  Personally I find the workflow and interface clumsy but that may be me.  Without doubt it can be a fabulous tool in the right hands and free!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to Mylenium

> "There's a lot of work to be done to make this better..."

Of course. But this initial step is already beneficial for many workflows. And we are already doing the work (as is Maxon) to make this integration better and better.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Will this be visible in CS? or any free updates thereof?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to Klaus Brandenburg

The Cinema 4D features are in the next version of After Effects, not in a free update to existing versions:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/details-of-cinema-4d-integ ration-with-after-effects.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points