Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

In Photoshop CS6 the 3D menu is grayed out

Apr 22, 2013 2:05 AM

I have Photoshop CS6 13.0.1 x64 Extended and all options under the 3D manu are grayed out. My graphic adapter is nVidia GeForce GTX 650 (it has 1024 MB memory). I have Windows 7 x64 and 8GB RAM.

In Performance settings I have checked to use the graphic processor and in Advanced settings the drawing mode either Basic, Normal or Advanced, it doesn't make a difference.

The drivers for my graphic card are from February.

I just tried to create a 3D postcard and got this message:

Any clues why the 3D doesn't work and what can be done about it?

Here is a fragment of System Info regarding the display driver. The line with OpenCL Version is empty, although I have checked "Use OpenCL", could this be a problem?

Memory available to Photoshop: 6314 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 32 %

Image tile size: 128K

Image cache levels: 4

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

Video Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Video Card Renderer: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2

Display: 1

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 1080, right: 1920

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

OpenCL Version:

Driver Version: 9.18.13.1407

Driver Date: 20130209000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 x 65536 colors

Video Card Caption: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

Video Card Memory: 1024 MB

Video Rect Texture Size: 16384

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to Bluefix

Something is wrong with the driver.

Photoshops isn't listing any OpenGL version information, and the OpenCL version is blank -- meaning the driver failed to return information correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to Bluefix

The card should be supported - but something is very wrong with your video card driver.

You may need to talk to NVidia to figure out what is wrong with your driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 1:09 AM   in reply to Bluefix

Have you checked the settings in the Graphics Card Application to make sure Photoshop is set there, can't remember off hand which setting it is, will check at home later.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 2:51 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

While adobe claims that 600 series is supported, what they fail to disclose is that the gpu's are added to a  Device/Vendor ID based compatibility list.

It looks more like one (or more) of the 650 sku is missing from CS6's compatiblity list.

Chris, can you verify these devices are included.

NVIDIA_DEV.0FC6 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650"

NVIDIA_DEV.11C2 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST"

NVIDIA_DEV.11C3 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti"

NVIDIA_DEV.11C6 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti "

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to Squall_Leonhart69r

Any device that works correctly and meets the minimum RAM requirements is included.

All of those boards should be working without a problem.

But it still looks like something is wrong with your driver.  You need to contact NVidia and figure out what is wrong with your driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thats not what i asked, I'm specifically requesting you to contact your software engineers and check the SKU compatibility list for any of those device strings that may be missing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to Squall_Leonhart69r

First, take a few minutes to check my profile or to read the Photoshop credits.

Now, there are no device strings like that in Photoshop.

We don't have a whitelist for a few supported devices, only a blacklist for a few devices known not to work correctly at all.  Again, any CORRECTLY WORKING device that meets the minimum requirements will work in Photoshop.  Again, your card should be working - but we can see from the system info log that it is not returning important information (like the GL and CL versions).

So we know that something is wrong with the driver on your system.  It could be an out of date driver, it could be bits left over from an old install, it coudl be bad settings in the driver, it could even be a bad card -- I don't know because I don't have your system to examine.  To get your driver and GPU back to a working state, you will need to contact NVidia and work with them to figure out why a card that should be working in Photoshop is not working on your particular system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I put very little value in names in credits, so forgive my prior enquiry i am more used to lua databases compiling what various gpu's can and can't do in an application.

Btw, im not the op

I'm waiting to see what other software will turn up on the ops computer, particularly the results of GPU Caps viewer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to Squall_Leonhart69r

Oops, too many responses and I got y'all confused.

And you should check credits, or at least the online info, since you are already talking to a senior engineer on the Photoshop team.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Yeah, sorry,

I don't put much faith in credit lists, you can blame microsoft for that (see: Adam Orth)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to Bluefix

Photoshop does not see the correct CL version because your video card driver is not reporting the correct CL version.

Again, you need to straighten out the problems with your video card driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 6:29 PM   in reply to Bluefix

It's essential to update/upgrade the video driver from the NVIDIA web site, not from Windows, Microsoft or Intel sites…

I just learned that the hard way on my Windows machine.  

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 10:56 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris, what is CS6 doing to obtain this information, would help to know what particular registry key or file that it is reading from.

its possible gpu caps viewer is detecting the caps via NVAPI , however in cases where OpenCL was broken in the driver i have always known GPU-Z to show it unticked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to Squall_Leonhart69r

Photoshop is calling the OS OpenGL APIs to query the name, version, and capabilities of the driver.

There is no registry or file (beyond the files that make up the driver software).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2014 1:38 AM   in reply to Bluefix

Same problem here. Tried 4 clean installs of 4 different drivers, which presumably work for others; deleting preferences and re-installing PS. Still Enable GL Drawing greyed out. Plus card IS recogised for 3D by AE.

I don't see how Chris Cox can be so sure the problem isn't in PS. As he hasn't answered I suppose I'll never know.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2014 2:24 AM   in reply to Bluefix

This is weird, I've been trying to find a solution to the above for 3 days. I tried one last search after posting - Viola!

http://www.andrei-ivascu.ro/enable-opengl-in-photoshop

This link provides the answer - it's a registry hack.

Briefly open regedit, goto Hkey current user>software>Adobe>photoshop>right click the number string you see there, (the number varies).

goto new>DWORD value, create a new value named AllowOldGPUS, double click on that value and enter 1 for Value Data.

Exit and open PS.

It worked for me.

Looks like Photoshop DOES have a registry 'file' after all Chris.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points