Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

crop not keeping to ratio

Apr 22, 2013 7:39 AM

LR4.

Just started experiencing a few problems with the crop ratio.

I normally crop to ratio 4:3 (8x6) for printing,

but just very recently the crop does not stick to it's ratio when reaching the outer borders.

(especially if changing orientation from Landscape to portrait)

If pulled It just keeps expanding to almost a square ratio before it stops.

Obviously the padlock is locked and it is something that never used to happen.

Have I inadvertantly clicked something that has caused this.

Any ideas much appreciated

PS. it still reads 4:3 in dialog box but very obviously isn't

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to Ian McGirr

I think I see the behavior you are talking about, but I really have to abuse the crop rectangle to get it to happen. If I resize it down to nothing, it will get locked to 1x1 instead of the 4x3 that I'm supposed to be locked on. I can sometimes really twist it into a custom ratio if I really push my luck. But I'm not sure what kind of bending of the rectangle you are doing. I have to move my cursor off screen essentially to get things to happen, which is much too far for practical use. I'm wondering if this is the same behavior you are encountering. Would you be able to record the behavior in action with something like Jing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to Ian McGirr

I'll test the full parameters of this behavior and report it to our engineering team for a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to Ian McGirr

Just to add that I have this problem as well, and to reiterate how annoying it is.   I wasted a lot of time figuring out why my prints were not the right size.   This bug is likely biting a large number of people but it's not easily noticed so most people will not realize that their crops are not accurate.   Please fix quickly!  

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Ian McGirr

This bug has been reported. (I saw that mentioned somewhere else). Edit: Since we have a staff member in this thread, I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

While we wait for a fix, the easiest way of checking all photos in a shoot is sorting by crop ratio. Then you only have to check the crop ratio of the first and last photo in the shoot and the photos just before and after a deliberate crop change.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Allan_Olesen

Thanks Allan_Olesen - great tip. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to johnshore

Just thought I'd add a "me too" (in case it's helpful) plus a link to the same issue I posted a few days ago since I didn't find this one when I was initially searching for answers.

It's got screen shots and everything!

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5597609#5597609

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to erflink

Has anyone tried working with the 5.2 RC and seeing if they still get this behavior?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to erflink

I checked and in the release of LR 5, this has been fixed. 

It's nice that someone noticed the regression in time to fix it

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 10:06 PM   in reply to Brett N

That's great that LR5 doesn't have this bug.  When can we expect a fix for the bug introduced in 4.4?  It wasn't present in any previous 4.x, 3.x, or 2.x version of LR. It's been noted in this thread since April 2013 and it's now September 2013.  If this bug isn't going to be fixed in 4.4 please let the community know.  This bug is infuriating and kills productivity when your workflow involves quickly cropping a large number of images.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to AeroPotamus

I think it is pretty safe to say that this bug in LR 4.4 is there to stay.  Adobe is very unlikely to revisit an old version months after the next version is released.  It would have to be a major data loss bug or a system security issue to get a look at this point.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to Brett N

Running v5.2 on a mac, and now having this bug. Did not exist for me in v4.x.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to Jeff_Warner

Definitely odd, I just verified in 5.2 on a Mac (OS 10.7.5) that the problem has been fixed, at least in my environment.  'Tis a puzzlement...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Jeff_Warner

Jeff_Warner wrote:

Running v5.2 on a mac, and now having this bug. Did not exist for me in v4.

I am running v5.2 on OSX 10.8.5 and  the crop seems to work as it is supposed to so it seems to be fixed in 5.2.  

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to Ian McGirr

Ian,

Are you using Lr5.2 now?  I can not get this to happen using 5.2 but I did have this problem in an earlier release.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Bob Somrak wrote:

I am running v5.2 on OSX 10.8.5 and  the crop seems to work as it is supposed to so it seems to be fixed in 5.2.  

Bob, I'd say 'seems to be fixed for *you*'; clearly, it's still an issue for some, for whatever reason.

Oddly, the issue does not exist on my MacBookPro running v5.2 (also on 10.8.5). Odd.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to Ian McGirr

Ian McGirr wrote:

Originally I posted this problem and I am not sure how many people really use or see the issue that is happening?

I can change aspect ratio no problem. it is when I crop and pull to the outer edges that problems begin.

The best way to test it is to change the orientation.

e.g. Open a landscape photo in develop > crop> pull the top right corner crop with the mouse until you can change the orientation to portrait > pull the mouse to the top edge of the photo and keep pulling the mouse upward and at a slight angle. Does it keep on expanding out of ratio?

If so, this is the problem I am having. I deliberately pull back on a few sports shots shots to allow for participants leaving the frame at high speed, but need to crop in for the final print.

If it doesn't touch the sides or top then fine, however if it does then it pulls it out of ratio

That's exactly the behavior i see on my MacPro 5,1 running LR v5.2 on 10.8.5. I don't have to work very hard to get this to happen (per Brett's early post above); any sort of cropping outward near the edge of the image, especially with any sort of rotation, induces the crop ratio to go into crazy-custom mode, whether locked or unlocked. It's as if the aspect ratio 'Lock' function is not engaging.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to Jeff_Warner

Bob, I'd say 'seems to be fixed for *you*';

Jeff

You are definately correct.   There seems to be several bugs in Lightroom that have been hanging around for a long time that are like this one that seems to show up on one system and not another similarly configured system.  Your two Macs are a great example.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to Ian McGirr

LR 4.4 on windows 7 introduced this problem for me.  LR 4.3 had no issue.  I've reverted back to 4.3 and the bug went away.  I have not tried LR 5.X on this PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 6:36 PM   in reply to Ian McGirr

Ian McGirr wrote:

Bob

i think you may have hit the nail on the head.

All the responses to this seem to be from Mac users.

Is there anybody using PC and LR4.4 or 5.2 that can replicate this problem ?

Not quite Ian... I posted earlier that the problem appears to be fixed for me, and I'm on my Mac.  Also, AeroPotamus (post #24) is having the problem on Windows.

Though we don't have many data points, I'm having no problems on Mac OS 10.7.5.  One Mac OS 10.8.5 user is not having any problems (Bob), Jeff has it work on his MacBook Pro and not work properly on his Mac Pro, both on 10.8.5.  Whereas I'm on a Mac Pro.  Not enough data to point fingers at a Mac OS version or model.

I haven't tried it on my MacBook Pro (10.7.5 also), which I will and report back.

If it wasn't a Windows problem also, I'd suggest some of the usual Mac troubleshooting hints like nuking the Lightroom preferences and other associated support files, clearing caches, etc.  Or... I'm wondering if there's a Lightroom plugin that's in the mix?  Jeff, do you have the same (or any) plugins on your Mac Pro and MacBook Pro?  I've got a few, but again, I'm not seeing the problem in LR 5.2 but was in 4.4 and not in 4.3.

This is getting confusing...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to erflink

Not using any plugins, here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to Jeff_Warner

This issue has been bugging me since the 4.4 update as well. I found this thread and decided to go back and carefully look at what I was doing in order for it to happen.

Here is how I can reproduce it and "fix" it also.

1a) Click on the crop tool

2a) Click on the adjustable crop frame over you image and resize it so the orientation changes

3a) Once it changes if you try to make the crop expand to one of the edges and move slightly beyond... the set crop ratio will change from its set ratio to Custom.

The key is clicking and holding down the mouse while doing all these actions.

If I do the following I can "fix" it and use the tool normally...

1b) Repeast steps 1 and 2 above

2b) Once the orientation change simple mouse up (stop holding down your mouse button)

3b) Click and drag the crop frame to the edge and it will not go past the edge.

Also... on step 3a if you move the mouse from inside the edge to outside the edge you will see the crop ration change from its set ratio to custom and back again.

I hope this helps folks. It seems to be a viable work around for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to Ian McGirr

... just to add another option here, the X key shortcut flips your crop orientation straight away. It keeps the aspect, and tries to retain the size and centering of the prior boundary where that is possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 8:49 AM   in reply to Ian McGirr

I've just noticed mine doing the same thing (v5.2). However, I noticed that mine only changes when I've rotated the crop. I'm trying to crop at 4x5/8x10 ratio, but, if the crop is rotated, as soon as I click and move the crop adjustment handles, it changes my apect ratio to either "Custom" or "8.5x11". Major pain when I'm cropping 500+ images.

Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 11.49.53 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 10:28 AM   in reply to bcruzphoto

This is a bug that was fixed in Lr 5.3 so you need to update.  Lr 5.4 should be out in a few weeks so watch for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2014 9:43 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Thanks for the info, Bob. Unfortunately, after our conversation, I updated to v5.3, but I am still haveing the same issues... It's only when I rotate the crop, that it starts to change. Hopefully 5.4 will resolve this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2014 10:27 AM   in reply to bcruzphoto

I thought this was supposed to be fixed in Lr 5.3 but I see it is still there.  I see what you are seeing .  I cropped a photo as you did with the Aspect set at 4x5/8x10 and just by rotating I got the following aspects.  The strange one is 8x10.1 which isn't even close to the pixel dimensions as compared to 8x10.     The pixel dimensions were ALWAYS the same even though the Aspect was changing.  Adobe seems to have a real problem with getting their act together with the crop as it has been buggy for a LONG time.  Hopefully they can finally get it fixed in Lr5.4.

Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 11.11.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 11.11.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 11.12.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 11.13.23 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2014 6:02 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

I'm seeing some similar behavior, but I don't think this is what was being discussed originally in this thread.

I can see that the aspect preset changes to Custom as soon as I change the Angle, and occationally it seems to select a random preset from the list. However, this doesn't see to reflect an actually change in the size/aspect ratio of the crop on the image. From your example, if it says 8x10.1 but you selected 4x5 to start, the image size will still be 4x5. If you go to the drop-down list and select 4x5 again, no changes to the crop rectangle will occur. If you rotate again and it changes back to Custom, if you select 8x10.1 it will change.

So while it may seem annoying that the Aspect is changing around at random, it doesn't seem to reflect any issues with the actual opperation of the tool. I'll report this to have it fixed, but for now I would just ignore what the Aspect preset says the second you change the Angle.

Also, do you have 8x10.1 as a preset in your Aspect drop-down list? It should appear at the bottom since that would be a custom ratio.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2014 7:28 PM   in reply to Brett N

Thanks for the reply Brett,

Sorry for getting off topic.  I was just replying to post #30.

I did play around with this some more and as you discovered the pixel dimensions stay the same if you reselect the 4x5/8x10.  It seems to be just a glitch in the display/calculation of the crop aspect number so does not cause any major problem and I have been ignoring it.

I do have an 8x10.1 in my list now and I may have put it there a month or so ago when I was doing some experimenting to answer a question on the forum about cropping.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2014 11:09 PM   in reply to Ian McGirr

I am using LR5.3 on a Windows7 PC and I am getting this annoying behavior about 70% of the time.  It doesn't always resize the crop template aspect, but when it does, it always reverts to the "Original" aspect ratio. The tool doesn't "grow" to full size, it just changes aspect ratio at near the current size I'm working with.  I am usually dragging an edge to try to grow/shrink the template when it just randomly will switch to the Original aspect dimensions.  It does it whether the "Lock" icon is engaged or not. It will do it using the 1x1 template, the 5x7 template, and the 8x10 template.  It will also do it when I use a free-form aspect ratio (i.e., Lock icon unlocked).  That is particularly annoying because I take a lot of time to get a crop just the way I like it, and BAM, Original aspect ratio again and my work is lost.

This has been going on for quite some time.  I reported it as a bug during the LR5 RC Beta testing but it wasn't fixed, and it's still not fixed.

I wince everytime I have to crop a photo now...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2014 2:37 AM   in reply to Canon_Ron

it just changes aspect ratio at near the current size I'm working with.  I am usually dragging an edge to try to grow/shrink the template when it just randomly will switch to the Original aspect dimensions.  It does it whether the "Lock" icon is engaged or not.
    It will also do it when I use a free-form aspect ratio (i.e., Lock icon unlocked).  That is particularly annoying because I take a lot of time to get a crop just the way I like it, and BAM, Original aspect ratio again and my work is lost.

To be clear: there are, it seems, two distinguishable issues here.

One is that some people are reporting a crop boundary which visibly jumps to a very different shape, in some circumstances, when adjusting.

The other is a matter of the aspect ratios that are stated in the Crop panel, differing from what people expected them to show.

You can set the Info overlay to show the cropped pixel dimensions (every time you let go of the crop handles). When you are free-form cropping, it is AFAICT completely normal for the aspect ratio to report the fact that you may be approaching, perhaps matching, and passing a previously identified shape.

There's a slight "tolerance" here, and the looseness is more proportionally apparent, I think for small pixel number crops thanfor large ones.

But AFAICT this is all informational only. If you happen to be sufficiently close to 8x10 (accidentally) to fall within its recognition range, it tells you that. In your mind you may be executing a Custom crop - you may not be remotely interested whether it is 8x10 or not. But the cropped pixel dimensions are in fact not in my experience affected, by what LR may say.

Confirmatory test: I have just made a deliberately small freehand crop which is reported by the Info overlay, as 451 x 512 pixels. As I adjusted this, the Crop panel kept changing its aspect display, as usual. It is currently saying "4 x 5 / 8 x 10". My crop has self-evidently not in fact "jumped" to 4x5 proportions - if it had, it would need to be reporting different numbers. There has been no "Bang" and my work of making that actually-squarer-than-4x5 manual crop has not been "lost".

If you ask for a particular aspect ratio, that can and will impose whatever proportion is needed onto the prior crop, right now. But then it's only the padlock which gives confidence that you are actually retaining a given shape.

But if LR is just informing you of an aspect ratio, and you haven't asked for that and then locked it, then this aspect ratio readout is not AFAICT governing anything.

Certainly it's regrettably "hand-wavy" and ambiguous, so far as the interface is designed. When we are not interested in the specific aspect ratio - it's a useful habit to just ignore that ...

UNLESS you have the first problem, and your crop IS changing by itself, due to some kind of buggy behaviour. If that were the case, the cropped pixels readout numbers should alter, and prove that this has in fact happened. The numbers tell the actual story.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points