Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe downloads are stopped because "contained a virus and was deleted".

Apr 22, 2013 9:19 AM

My computer would no longer open PDF files. I deleted all Adobe products so that I could reinstall them with the latest updates. Whenever I try to download your products, I keep getting a message stating: for Reader it reads like this: adberdr1014_en_us.exe contained a virus and was deleted, for Flashplayer, it reads like this: install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbp_chra_aih.exe contained a virus and was deleted. I have tried shutting down my anti-virus software, to include Windows Defender, but it didn't help. I am running the AVG free anti-virus. Operating system is Windows Vista. I am using Windows Explorer and I'm trying to download from the Adobe website. The problem that led to all of this was that Adobe Reader stopped working or something was blocking it, because we could no longer open any type of PDF files. I initially tried to download the latest Adobe Reader update. That was the first time I encountered the "contained a virus and was deleted" message.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to chs55

Hi,

Try downloading Adobe Reader installation setup from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Let me know if that works.

Also, could you run a full system check using your Anti-virus, and check if your system is clean.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to chs55

How about downloads from elsewhere. In google I find many people with this problem for all sites, but no solutions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to chs55

chs55 wrote:

I have tried shutting down my anti-virus software, to include Windows Defender, but it didn't help. I am running the AVG free anti-virus.

But you still got the message? If so, you didn't get everything shut down. Something has to be giving you that message.

More than likely, it's a false-positive. Happens quite a bit with updates when the AV companies haven't caught up with their definitions.

If you didn't get the message after disabling all your AV stuff, what DID happen?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to chs55

Well, at least you know it isn't Adobe's site.

I found quite a bit of discussion of this in AVG's forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to chs55

Well, then it is something else.

Try using some other Anti Virus.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to chs55

When reading this topic, with every post I got more and more the feeling that your system is infected with some sort of malware.

Can you try to download and run MBAM?  Perhaps you may need to download it on a different system, then transfer it to your Vista machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 10:07 PM   in reply to chs55

You could try to run the System Files Checker for missing or corrupted files.  From a Command Prompt type

sfc /scannow

You may need your Windows install disk for this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

You write I totally removed the AVG software but did you visit the AVG forum? The people there had the same experience and found it was leaving parts behind. I am not saying that this IS the cause, but it seems worth a look.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points