• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anti-aliased HTML text in Webkit browser?

Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm working with the webkit browser in an AIR project and running into a big hurdle. The fonts displayed in my webkit HTML are blocky and jaggy due to AIR not supporting -webkit-font-smoothing or text-rendering, and this is making my really great AIR app look a bit shoddy.

I was just wondering if anyone out there might have some sort of solution (or hack) that would resolve this issue and improve the appearance of the HTML text. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any advice,

Steven.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steven,

You didn't mention the platform but could your app use StageWebView instead of the HTML control?  If so, the latest versions of AIR leverage the built in OS webkit/rendering engine instead of the outdated version shipped in AIR.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Could you clarify your comment? Do you mean the latest versions of the AIR runtime are more up to date that the AIR SDK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion.  The latest runtimes are the same as the SDK's.  The issue is that the version of webkit (shipped with both the runtime and the sdk) is not as up to date as the version that is shipped with your OS.  The HTML control depends on the webkit library included with AIR, the StageWebView leverages the OS version of WebKit.

Hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that makes sense now. How long ago was that change to StageWebView implemented? The reason I ask is because there seems to be a problem with it and the adobe reader plugin. I started a post about it here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1203893

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Flash CS6 targetting Air 3.4 for Desktop (on Win7). I tried switching my app to using StageWebView as suggested but it yields the same results, and so am a bit stumped as to what to do. I've checked my html css to make sure the correct font styling is in place and it appears smooth and anti-aliased in Chrome and IE (but not Firefox), so I'm not entirely sure what to do now.

I'm not too big into Webkit but is there anything in particular I should look out for with my machine?

Thanks again,

Steven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the change to use the OS version of WebKit in StageWebView was either 3.5 or 3.6.

Steven, could you give that version of the SDK a try?

Keith, replied to your other post.  Sounds like a bug.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will stagewebview be able to interact with javascript?

Or .....when the webkit will be updated?

We all trusted adobe and invested in their products and security certificates, we realley need the support that was promissed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines