Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

compound path

Apr 22, 2013 2:18 PM

I have an object and over the top I have placed another shape then I went compound path>make to cut out the top shape.   Ive noticed that all the shapes except star or polygon have a centre point so the cut out can be moved.  Why dont star and poly have one?  Is there another way to move them?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to Arrakis

To show the centere point for a star and polygon you need to select the item then attributes >> click on show center

Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 4.48.51 PM.png

Never noticed before, but seesm that some shape by default have center point on 9rectangle elipse) but others have them off (poolygon, star) by default.

Use the hollow arow tool to select the items if you are having troubl, and hold down option while you click to select the entire object, the points on the star should be solid not hollow to move the entire star.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to Arrakis

Note that the centre point is the centre of a polygon’s bounding box.

This means that if the polygon (or star) has an odd number of sides (points) its geometrical centre does not correspond with the centre of its bounding box.

It therefore follows that an automatically generated centre point is not desirable or helpful.

There are various ways of finding the geometrical centre. Much has been written about this elsewhere on this forum.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points