Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Master Page Content Boxes – Adjusting?

Apr 22, 2013 3:12 PM

I thought I understood how to use content boxes on master pages, but I think I may have been wrong!

I have set up master pages, for example one right hand page has a square frame. I then drag and place an image in each of the boxes in the main document pages.

However, having then attempted to change the master page, moving or resizing the box on the master is not reflected in the dependent pages within the main document.

(From reading the help pages, I believe this might be because I have overridden it?)

I am part way through creating a document and I realise now that I want to change the page size. Having already added content, I want to be able to reposition all of the main document's image boxes.

Apologies for being ill informed about InDesign. I suspect more preparation would have seen me through here.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to EGParadigm

It depends on the version of InDesign you're using and the settings you choose.

In order to accomplish what you want, you need to be using InDesign CS6. Then when you create your document turn on the Primary Text Frame option.

PrimaryTextFrame.jpg

You can create one text frame on each master page as a primary text frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to EGParadigm

How are you changing the size?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 3:43 AM   in reply to EGParadigm

At this point it may be too late to fix, but using the page tool introduced a new level of complexity. I don't like the page tool other than for changing a single page. To change the entire document you should, in my opinion, be enabling layout adjustment, then using Document Setup to change the page size, and finally Layout > Margins and Columns to fix margins and columns on the master pages.

If layout adjustment is on before you do any of this, there's a reasonably good chance  that your frames that are snapped to guides will do what you want. If you did not have layout adjustment turned on when using the page tool the first time I expect you've disconnected the link between the master page and all overridden objects (anything that you placed content into).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to EGParadigm

Try sending the file through .idml: Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to EGParadigm

I suspect that's because you've used the Page tool, but I can't say for sure. Cna you create a new file, then go into document setup and successfully change the page size?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to EGParadigm

Text is probably easily recovered for a new file by exporting the stories to Tagged Text or RTF and placing that into your new file.

Put the text cursor in a story and either select nothing or select all, then File > Export... and choose tagged text or .rtf. If you use tagged text you'll be asked if you want appreviated or verbose and it makes no differnce which you choose for this. You need to do that for each story.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points