Skip navigation
flashracket77
Currently Being Moderated

How to add links and rollovers from an exported Edge Reflow HTML in Dreamweaver?

Apr 22, 2013 3:34 PM

Tags: #adobe #dreamweaver #css #edge #usability #reflow #edge_reflow

Hi,

Thanks to the very helpful community I have found the way to get my HTML file from Edge Reflow.

Upon opening the HTML file in Dreamweaver, the CSS, Java scripts are wonderfully linked. However, I am not experienced enought to manipulate the divs to get a rollover or add links to the layout.

Eg. Sticky Navigation bar on the top, how do you add rollovers and links?

All help is very much appreciated.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to flashracket77

In Dreamewaver you add links by selecting the text you want to be a link and paste the URL in the Link Field in the PI (make sure the PI is on the HTML button)

dwpi.png

For a sticky nav bar, a very simple thing to do is select the container of the div and make it have "position: fixed". For rollovers a simple you can use the ":hover" selector in CSS to change style when the mouse is over (you should be careful with these though since most touch based devices won't have this state)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:06 AM   in reply to Chris Bank - ReflowDev

Hi Chris,

I have an issue regarding links with Reflow. I opened my reflow project into Dreamweaver and added links to my text, everything works fine. I then opened my project in Reflow to add more assets, only to find that the links have disappeared.

Am I missing something? As Reflow being a piece of software aimed at the Web, it would be very useful to be able to add links directly in Reflow.

Best regards,

Sam

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to Sam-Rios

RIght now Reflow does not roundtrip anything. The HTML file from Reflow gets recreated each time you preview, so if you want to use it as a starting point, you should rename the file or save it somewhere else. This does mean once you start production you need to keep better track of the changes you make in your desgin so you can carry them over to you copy that's ready for production. You can also use the code export button in relfow to more quickly copy you css changes and paste them over in production.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2013 3:32 AM   in reply to Chris Bank - ReflowDev

Hi Chris,

Could you give us an idea of how long do we have to wait for a Reflow version which respects (and ignore) the thrid-parties modification in its html file?

I'm not just talking of simple links but: CMS integrations, JS/JQuery, PHP functions and all the other infinite options.

Respecting a "one way" workflow (exporting from Reflow and never coming back) is not easy at all considering that design is most of the time a refinement process with the (never satisfied) client and the team.

Being able to going back and forth from Reflow, integrating it with IDEs and other tools, could really be a killer feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to EnricoFrascati

Thanks for your feedback.  We definitely believe design is an iteractive process. The right solution might not be round triping html, especially as mix in all those technologies you have above (CMS, JS, PHP, etc..). The main reason is with all those combinations it's really hard to make everything look correct and edit the correct files. In these cases, the best tool for production is probably dreamweaver with LiveView and it's related files, so you the author can control the changes precisely.

For Reflow, the solutions we're thinking about are more along the lines of versioning and tracking changes and allowing you to quickly see what is different between two points in a design. Then you the author can take just those changes and apply it in the correct spot for your setup. We are definitely thinking about how to integrated these workflows so you can go efficiently and accurately between design and production, but it most likely won't be automatically like through round triping html.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Chris Bank - ReflowDev

Hi Chris,

your plan for Reflow sounds good. Versioning is probably the most adaptable way to integrate it with the rest of the workflow.

What I think is still missing, on the simple side, is link creation and management inside Reflow.

Of course, considering you have just introduced multiple pages, this feature shouldn't be far...

About Dreamweaver, I've been a faithful user for years but now it's definitely old for some uses.

Just to say, if I open the responsive page I just created in Reflow with DWCC in Live View, something basic as background gradients are completely missing. Well, I'm not going to use it for this kind of work.

Do you know for what DW is still a great tool? Email Newsletters, since they still have to respect old standards that no one else uses anymore.

For all the rest I definitely prefer the editor/IDE way: SublimeText and other tools.

They're faster, more apt to the task and, similarly to the Adobe Edge line of products, made with the same technologies they help to work with.

In the future, who knows... Maybe, you should put in development a "Dreamweaver Edge" version and drop the old one, a little clunky even if recently revarnished  ;-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points