Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I create "game of thrones" text?

Apr 22, 2013 10:30 PM

I'm not sure what the term is for this effect which is why I'm having difficulty figuring out how to do it. Basically I want to place text at a certain place in my shot and as the camera moves I want the text to remain where it is.

A good example of this is the names for the cities in the game of thrones intro, you can watch that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

There has got to be loads of onfi on how to do this somewhere, maybe you guys could even try to explain it to me. If I were to try to do this now without any education I'm sure it would look awful. The text has to be rezised at every frame plus it has to stay in place, I have no idea how to achieve this. It DOESN'T have to be 3d text like in game of thrones, 2d is fine.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 10:48 PM   in reply to DanielFilming

It is done with keyframes. You click on the stopwatches for scale and position and then set the initial starting point. Go to the end of the clip and resize and move the text as required. Premiere Pro will do all of the in between stuff for you. You may find that you have to set the values every so often, but certainly not every frame unless your camera work is really bouncing around.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I think this is best done in After Effects, create a camera from your footage and have that pan past the text in 3D space.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 2:42 AM   in reply to DanielFilming

In the example you're talking about the sequence is pure CGI (Cinema4D/Max).

If you have existing live action plates and want to composite in text so it appears to be occupying the same 3D space, you need to use motion-tracking or camera-matching software. After Effects can do it, for example there's a bunch of 3D-compositing tutorials at Andrew Kramer's site.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to DanielFilming

What Dave said.

Here is an example how to do it with Mocha (Mocha AE is included with After Effects):

And here is an example how to do it with 3D Camera Tracker:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/the-3d-camera-tracker

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to DanielFilming

1. What is your final delivery? YouTube?

2. Why do your footages have various frame rates? Was it done intentionally or unintentionally? If the former, what was the intention?

In other words, explain what your project is going to be as detailed as you can.

P.S. My 1000-th post here... Ageing...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to DanielFilming

Maybe I am missing the point but I would just create 4 or 5 titles, position them where required

and just cross dissolve them at relevant points into the background video.

No?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to DanielFilming

Not that this helps you, but the Game of Thrones opener has to be one of my all time favorite show openings. That would definitely be a nice piece to have on the demo reel.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 3:43 AM   in reply to DanielFilming
    joe bloe premiere wrote:

I just hit 1900...

Sounds like midlife crisis to me: you still feel like a playful kitten, while out of the blue they say, 'Hey caudate, you're over 1000'...

DanielFilming wrote:

youtube. it's 30 fps footage mixed with 50fps. I shot some 50fps because when I turned it to 24 my image flickered.

As I mentioned earlier, if you mix resolutions and frame rates, you're better off with lowest resolution and highest frame rate of your footages, i.e. with footages partially in 1920x1080 and partially in 1280x720, it's wise to edit and export in 1280x720; if your footages are partially in 29.97 fps and partially in 50 fps, you'd better edit and export in 50 fps.

If you need to export to a particular frame rate, consider checking this thread in After Effects Forum.

Not sure what kind of flickering you're talking about. If it appears while you're panning the camera, you're most likely facing the critical speed phenomenon. Read trough this article by Rick Gerard to understand how to avoid it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points