Skip navigation
SAngeli
Currently Being Moderated

From FullHD to SD

Apr 23, 2013 12:35 AM

Hi,

I find myself in the situation where I recorded a video as PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25 (16:9) but have to create a standard DVD-R 4.7GB still PAL Widescreen 16:9 25fps ... I also have to find a quick solution as I have to release a DVD project soon.

Untill few days ago, I was not aware that a regular DVD would reach up to 720x576px

Reading on the Internet I found this article on Adobe but being a Pr Pro forum I do not know if what they suggest can be applied to PrE and also it seems quite complicated to do.

So, I decided to ask the question here as being more appropriate.

[Question 1] I run PrE 11 and wish to know what do I have to do in order to go from FullHD to SD for creating a standard DVD-R 4.7GB still PAL Widescreen 16:9 25fps video.

[Question 2] I wish to know if I can continue working on my existing video project set being set as PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25 (16:9) or if I have to start a new project as PAL Widescreen (which will be 720x576). If so, I wish to know if I can save the portion of the TimeLine of the video still in FullHD (to preserver quality) and than impot it into the new project.

Thinking over this issue I still believe that if a user needs to have the Master video in FullHD, because he/she needs to produce the video in different resolutions or media, it is correct to record in FullHD.

Perhaps where I made the mistake is the type of project I selected in PrE when creating a new one.

[Question 3] But even if I made a mistake in the selection of the adeguate project if I wish to avoid editing the same project with the same edits several times can I still base all my editing on the Master project (set as PAL AVCHD Full HD 16:9) and than export it in FullHD MPEG or even better AVCHD M2T or MP4. Than create a new PAL Widescreen 16:9 25fps project and import the exported video? Will I be able to preserve video quality?

Thank you,

Spiro

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 1:40 AM   in reply to SAngeli

1. You can create a PAL Widescreen DVD. That will maintain the aspect ratio. There is another option called AVCHD to DVD. Here a Full HD video can be burnt to disc in a higher quality (read: Bitrate). This is available in Share -> Disc option. But the limitation is that only a Blu Ray player will be able to play this AVCHD DVD. So this option could be academic for you.

2. You can continue working with the Full HD project. If you create a PAL DV Widescreen project, the clip quality will be compromised. It is always best to keep the project as close as possible to the clip, or even better, match them!

3. If you import a Full HD content in a (forcefully selected) PAL DV project setting, the quality will be compromised. PrE11 does ensure that we do not make a mistake of selecting a wrong project preset if

3a. You import the video clip directly into PrE

3b. If all imported clips are of the same settings

3c. If the clip properties fall within one of its (multiple and very useful) project presets

You seem to have done the right thing by recording in Full HD, and not manually over-riding the preset selection done by PrE11. The quality is preserved thus far. Let us know how burn goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to SAngeli

The question we always ask when someone wants to output a video is what do you plan to do with the video once you output it?

Do you plan to use it in another project? Produce a DVD? A BluRay? Share it online? Share it to a site like Vimeo or YouTube? Play it on a smartphone or iPad?

There are optimal Publish & Share options for each. Once we know how you plan to share your video, it's easy to recommend your best Publish & Share option.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to SAngeli

In  both cases, make sure to resize our photos to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size. This is vital.

Then:

1) To create a DVD, use Publish & Share/Disc/DVD.

2) As for your video for the internet, it depends on where on the internet you're going to publish it. As I said, the settings for creating a video for YouTube or Vimeo are very different than if you are creating a video to share from your own web site.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to SAngeli

DPI doesn't matter when you're creating graphics or photos for video. You can use 72 dpi, but it doesn't matter. All that matters is the total measurement, in pixels, of the photo itself: 2000x1500.

That should be enough to get your start, Spiro. Just follow what VDO and I have recommended and you'll be fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to SAngeli

Spiro I'll try and address the issues you raised in your three paragraphs containing the brown questions.

1. When you create your project with the full HD video clips and stills, a Project File with the extension .prel is created. This stores links to all your imported video clips and stills and also contains a record of all the editing instructions you used when editing your project. This is effectively your master file and this is what you save for later use. You can open it up at any time and do further editing or Sharing. There is no need to Share the project as a full HD video upon completion of editing. Just Save the Project File. The .prel file is relatively small as it contains no actual video.

2. There is no need to convert your video to SD before editing to create a DVD or whatever else you want to share, nor is it advisable. Simply edit the full HD footage in a Project with matching Project Setting. You then Share this in whatever format you want at any time. I don't think I'd agree that Adobe has inferior video format converters.

3. It depends on the aspect ratio of the still photos. When resizing, just make sure they are no bigger than about 1920 wide or 1080 high. Premiere Elements will display them with black bars at the top/bottom or sides if the aspect ratio of the photos does not match 16:9.

Dave

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points