• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate resets microphone volume

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2006 Aug 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate with a Logitech USB headset for recording narration. I've found that no matter how low I set the microphone volume in the control panel, when I record audio in Captivate, it bumps up to 100% (after closing Captivate, if I go back to the control panel, the volume is all the way up). I've tried this on several PCs with two different USB headsets, with the same results, so it looks like a software issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
"Bugs" can be reported at this link, and the more the merrier. Beyond that, all I can offer is that every time I change audio software I re-adjust in and out volumes anyway, and always have. I have never given it a thought that this might be considered a flaw, but perhaps it is???

Have a good day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't consider having to readjust volume between progarms a flaw, as that's to be expected. However, this is a serious (and different) problem, because the volume is always set to max by Captivate, no matter what setting I use in the Windows control panel. This leads to a lot of distortion and noise in my audio recordings. Thanks for the link to submit bug reports, I'll do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 04, 2006 Aug 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Macola,
I understand what you are saying. Until you mentioned it I wasn't aware of this behavior myself, so your efforts in filling out the "Bug Report" are very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years and several versions later and I am having the same problem with Captivate 4. Whatever I do, Captivate sets the microphone record level to 100% which results in a noticable backgroundhum. I can't find any fixes in the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same by me on OSX 10.6.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I ended up deleting all the "bad" Captivate audio and re-recording using the basic Windows recorder. I save as a .wav file and then import into the Captivate slide. It takes extra time but the sound quality is 100% better - no more background hum and hiss - just my crystal clear voice.

I may upgrade to Captivate 5 and see if that solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 5 allows you to set your recording level manually before starting the recording process. This is a new functionality as compared to Captivate 4.

In Captivate 4, you need to rely on automatic calibration to decide the sound levels. In Captivate 5, user can set the recording level, record a sample audio file, listen to the recorded file and reset the recording levels if required.

Here's a quick snapshot of the way this functionality is provided -

sound-level.PNG

Regards,

Mukul

CP Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/

Audio in CP: http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/author/mvlele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in 5.0 and re-calibrate every time I get up and come back to record, I also place the microphone 1 inch away from my mouth; do you happen to know any other techniques or tricks to avoid the volume from going up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to burst your bubble, but I'm still having the issue in 5.0 (don't know about 5.5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using Captivate 7 and I am having this problem!  I didn't have this problem with Captivate 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources