Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I lock the code and design view together?

Apr 23, 2013 3:08 AM

Tags: #help #design #dreamweaver #view #code #unlink

Might be a bit crudely formatted, but I work a lot with image maps. The code for these it put at the very bottom of the document, so every time I edit something in the image-map code, my design view pops down to the very bottom. Is there a simple way to stop this?

Thanks! Using CS5 by the way.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to Web_AM

Switch to Live View with Split View.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Web_AM

Like Nancy said, switch to the split view and then view it live in Dreamweaver. Don't forget to mark helpful/correct answers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 3:40 AM   in reply to Web_AM

Have you considered running a local server? This would probably be very efficient for you, you can work in dreamweaver and when you need to check the page you just switch to your browser and refresh the page, of course when you open it the first time it will take a little bit longer but I feel this would work out for you.

Windows: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Mac: http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

Both are entirely free and pretty easy to setup, I'd be willing to help you with setup etc. if you need it. Just send me a PM.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to Gabriel McKenna

A local testing server wouldn't effect the display of client-side image maps in Live View.  Either the OP is using server-side image maps (which I doubt) or something else is going on with the code.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Maybe, but I have had bad experiences with Dreamweaver's live view, I don't like it, it was made badly and doesn't work all the time even when it should.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to Gabriel McKenna

If you use server-side code in your pages (.php or .asp), then yes you need a local testing server.  But for static HTML page rendering, you don't. 

Live View is typically better than Design View.  If you can't use Live View, I suggest looking at your Preference settings >  Preview in Browser.  Disable Preview using Temporary File.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Yes I think we both understand that at this point, what I'm saying is Live view can be and has been faulty before and therefore Web_AM may be having an issue with Live view because it can be rather unreliable.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to Gabriel McKenna

Live View isn't perfect. It is  based on an older Chrome rendering engine.  But it's much more reliable than Design View.  If Live View can't render a simple image map, for example, this tells me there's a deeper problem.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points