Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Editing Feature into parts

Apr 23, 2013 7:18 AM

Tags: #pro #cs6 #premeire

I have broken up the project into 10 parts that I will edit separately and send off to make sure the vision is being produced yet wanted to know if there was a way to consolidate all ten of these projects later. I do not want to create a master project with all 3.1 terabytes of red footage so that each time I open the project it has to index all these files.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to a-dob-e help

Export DIs of each segment and combine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 5:45 PM   in reply to a-dob-e help

You can also import your 10 Pr projects into a "master" project at the end of your process.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to a-dob-e help

Correct.  Unless you just choose certain sequences, which is one of your import options.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 6:36 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Last time I tried importing a selected sequence from one project into another I also got a lot of clip references from the source project.

Unlike (for example) FCP, where it's possible to copy a sequence from one project to another without adding any clips to the project file, this doesn't appear to be possible in PPro.  Or is it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 8:15 PM   in reply to jamesp2

When you import a sequence, you will also import any clips used in that sequence that are not already in the project.  This is the desired behavior, for any NLE.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

"When you import a sequence, you will also import any clips used in that sequence that are not already in the project.  This is the desired behavior, for any NLE."

Tell that to tens of thousands of FCP users -- and the OP, who doesn't want huge and unmanageable project files.  FCP also allows more than one project to be open at a time, and assets (including sequences) to copied from project to project. 

The fact that the clips referenced in the sequence aren't present in the project doesn't mean the references to those clips don't exist in the sequence data.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to jamesp2

Tell that to tens of thousands of FCP users

They'll find out when they make the switch.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Sure, editors obliged to look beyond Apple, for lack of continued hardware or software support, will be delighted to discover that moving to PPro is in key areas a regression, with PPro lacking features and conveniences which were present in FCP since 1.0, long before "Premiere" had a "Pro" after it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to jamesp2

I came from FCP too but I am glad that Premiere enforces this because it's a good way to shoot yourself in the foot in FCP. Not having clips in the browser can cause lots of issues when exporting to XML, such as incorrect clip settings (e.g. wrong scaling or speed values) and can confuse and slow down other applications that import the file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points