Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I adjust the clip speed in the editing window of Premiere Elements 11?

Apr 23, 2013 7:13 AM

Tags: #premiere #elements #time #11 #clip #duration #speed #adjust

In former versions of Premiere Elements I could change the function while pushing the corner of a clip in the editing window: it was not cutting only, but I could also use it to adjust the speed of a clip (clicked the clock icon, after that the speed of a clip was adjusted perfectly).

But in Premiere Elements 11 this funktion seems to have gone: Now the timeline in the editing window seems to have the cutting function only!

Yes, I still can use the function "prolong time" (or whatever it is called in English, I use the German version), but in this I just can guess what percentage would fit and it's a very hard "try & error" part to get it right. In the former version the speed was adjusted "automatically" to fit the duration the clip needs – that was way more comfortable.

So, is this function really gone? I couldn't emagine why! Or how is this done now?

Couldn't find any post or video, explaning how to do that now.

No: The new "time zone" feature is not the same: it's not adjusting the needed speed rate automatically.

And by the way: There is a bug in that fuction: When I once added a new time zone, I can't remove it – clicking "set back" (or reset) doesn't do anything, the time zone stays where it is and is not deleted at all! I'm using a Windows 7 Ultimate system (64 bit) ...

I really would appreceate if someone could tell me how to adjust the clip speed perfectly to the needed duration of a clip!

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to Lutzzz

You can adjust your clip's speed in Premiere Elements 11 by using either the Time Stretch or the more advanced Time Remapping tool available under the Tools button on the Action Bar along the bottom of the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Lutzzz

Lutzzz

As a follow up to what SG has already written...

It puzzled me for a time trying to figure out what you were doing in earlier version of Premiere Elements, adjusting a clip using a clock icon. I soon realized that the clock icon was the Time Stretch Tool.

In Premiere Elements 11 Windows, if you want to use the same tool as in the earlier version, then

a. Select the clip and, in the Tools Menu at the top of the interface, select Time Stretch Tool

or

b. Select the clip and, click on the Tools Tab at the bottom of the interface, select Time Stretch Tool

or

c. Select the clip and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+R to bring up the Time Stretch Tool.

If you want to try out new feature, Time Remapping for your slow or fast motion video effects, then please check out the Adobe TV suggested How To...

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-11/time-remapping-wi th-adobe-premiere-elements-11/

Please let us know if the above worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

However, the drag-to-size method of adjusting Time Stretch has indeed been removed from version 11.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 12:06 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

An interesting point that you point out

"However, the drag-to-size method of adjusting Time Stretch has indeed been removed from version 11."

I am assuming that you are referring to an earlier version of Premiere Elements,  having a Time Stretch icon (clock icon) above the Timeline to select, and then perhaps, with the mouse cursor, dragging on the end of the video clip to increase its duration. The keyboard shortcut to select the "clock icon" in thar instance is X. If you look at Premiere Elements 11 Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Windows/Timeline Window/, you will mysteriously find "Time Stretch Tool" command with a keyboard shortcut X. And, if you look at Premiere Elements 11 Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Applications/Time Stretch, you will find "Time Stretch" with a keyboard shortcut Ctrl+R. Bottom line: I have not gotten the keyboard shortcut X to work in Premiere Elements 11 in this regard, but the Ctrl+R does to bring up the Time Stretch dialog to do the job.

In accord with this business of what is and what isn't...the good old Razor Tool. That disappeared from sight a long time ago. Yet users were able to use that in later versions using the keyboard shortcut C. Now for me that "C" does not work to change the mouse cursor to a razor for clip splitting at the Timeline level in Premiere Elements 11 in spite of the fact that Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Windows/Timeline Window continues to show Razor Tool command with keyboard shortcut C.

On the good news side of things, if one trims a clip in the Preview Window, one is still able to drag that trimmed clip to the Timeline (Expert view) and drag it out on either of its edges with the mouse cursor to recover the whole clip. And, the mouse cursor is still going to be that red ] with a double edged black horizontal arrow going through it.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points