Skip navigation
htrljohnson
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere CS 6.0.3 Real-time Mercury Playback Engine Not Playing Graphics Correctly

Apr 23, 2013 11:40 AM

I have ran into the problem of Premiere CS 6.0.3 not interpretting keyed graphics correctly when using CUDA acceleration. When I go to software mode the graphics look correct. The graphics were created in After Effects CS 6 also. Are there any known workarounds? This is graphics with Straight Matte Alpha Channel 1920x1080i 29.97fps Animation Quicktime.

The system is an HP Z820 with NVidia Quadro 2000 combined with Tesla C2075 Nvidia driver 9.18.13.697

Dual Zeon ES-2670 2.6GHZ

WIndows 7 64bit

32GB RAM

Matrox MXO2 driver 7.1.0.1294

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to htrljohnson

What kind of problem did you find on Alpha? is it jagged?

Maybe couble be a Qt bug.

Have you tried with a image sequence like TGA or PNG?

Or insert the AE Composition directly with Dynamic Link...

Cheers

Gianluca

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 24, 2013 2:50 AM   in reply to htrljohnson

Just done a test and seems a sort of alpha gamma shift. Occour only when you put the footage above another.

Maybe CUDA do not handle well alpha of quicktime movies.

For a workaround export the graphics as image sequence and see if it's fine.

Btw even without CUDA straight or prem alpha on quicktime aren't perfect to me, at least not like the one from a image sequence.

We always use image sequence instead of any kind of footage (QT/AVI) anytime we need a alpha channel.

Cheers

Gianluca

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to htrljohnson

Chances are that everything is working exactly as designed.  CUDA "processing is done in a linear color space (i.e., gamma = 1.0) at 32 bits per channel (bpc), which results in more realistic results, finer gradations in color, and better results for midtones."  The end result is that things created not using that mode (which isn't available in AE) will appear differently when they are rendered in that mode.

For now, you need to turn off CUDA acceleration if you want to keep consistency between programs.  CS Next will allow you to turn off Linear Light processing while keeping CUDA acceleration turned on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 2:18 AM   in reply to htrljohnson

Hi,

sorry for the delay, holidays here.

Jim Simon,

thanks for the input. Why you say it's not available in AE?

Linear color space workflow is present in AE if you enable Color Management and export in linear color space.

Btw Htrljohnson I wasn't able to reproduce the problem using image sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Giangian70

Linear color space workflow is present in AE if you enable Color Management and export in linear color space.

My comment was based on the fact that AE doesn't offer the same GPU acceleration that PP does.  I didn't know you could get there in AE without that GPU acceleration.  Thanks for the heads up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I recently posted an issue that I think also may be caused by Cuda GPU acceleration. I'll test my timeline using software only. The linear Gamma processing provides a good explanation to my issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to NickelplateSpiro

As an FYI, you can now turn off Linear processing in PP CC, while keeping everything else accelerated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

We can now turn off linear processing in Premiere? That's great! How?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to NickelplateSpiro

In the Sequence settings.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers