Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

after effects error invoking auto contrast- help!

Apr 23, 2013 12:30 PM

Please can someone help me with this, as its driving me crazy and I have a deadline coming up!

Ok, I have a compostion in After Effects I was working on, but now when I go to open it I get the message "After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Auto Contrast". After clicking OK, I get another window saying "After Effects error: Crash in progress" as you can see from the attached images. Please can anyone help me open my file again, or at least recover my data from the project!? I've tried everything and anything already! By the way I have no problems with RAM or anything as my other compositions are ok.

Software- windows 7 64 bit

Adobe After effects CS6

after effects 1.pngafter effects 2.pngafter effects 3.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to Ruskinirish

Try starting AE with caps lock on. 

Hopefully it won't render anything on opening up and it will give you a chance to remove the offending effect.

This usually works for me when a plugin is crashing AE on startup

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to Ruskinirish

Do you get the same when importing the file into a blank one with caps on?

The caps lock trick usually works.

The only other thought I have is to move that effect out of the plugins folder so AE thinks its missing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to Ruskinirish

I'm not at a machine at the moment but it should be listed somewhere in the effects folder I would think. Find where the program is installed program files...adobe...after effects and browse in there

Tbh you could probably move all of them out as you want to see if it will open with out crashing and then deleting the auto contrast from the project.

It will just list all your other effects as missing and will find them next time when you have returned the effects back.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 11:19 PM   in reply to Ruskinirish

The Auto Contrast effect is a normal plug-in inside your program folder.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\After effects CS6\Support Files\Plug-Ins\Effects

Put parentheses around the file name (including the *.aex extension) so AE ignores it on loading. beyond that we need to know much more about your system or project. So far you have not told us anything like what graphics card, what comp settings, what footage is used and so on...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to Ruskinirish

Hello, I know it's been a while but I'll leave my two cents for anyone encountering this problem.

Adobe knows about this bug, and the solution they provide worked for me: http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/crash-plugin-shadow-highlight. html

I know the article is about a bug while using shadow/highlights, but it can happen while working with different plugins, in my case, I was using Warp stabilizer and an adjustment layer above it with auto color, but it happens to different combinations, such as: paint & shadow/highlights, puppet & auto contrast, etc. Apparently, the streamline AE works with prefers footage with effects precomped before applying an adjustment layer to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to iequezada

The After Effects CC (12.2) update fixes a cause of a crash involving the Auto Contrast effect, Auto Levels effect, and related effects.

Let us know how it works for you after you've installed the update.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points