Skip navigation
Blind Billy
Currently Being Moderated

Can't open PDFs using IE 10

Apr 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Tags: #ie #open_pdf #reader_11

I can still open PDFs I receive as an e-mail attachment.  But suddenly I can no longer open PDFs using IE 10, such as those I find links to after a Google search.  I am using Reader 11.0.02 and IE 10.0.9200.165400.  The failed attempts result in a blank white page with a small box with an "x" inside in the extreme upper left of the blank page.  I've tried Google search troubleshooting.  Made sure that the IE add-on for PDFs was enabled.  Any ideas, other than downloading Firefox?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Blind Billy

Try to repair the installation of Reader or uninstall Reader, then re-install.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 6:43 PM   in reply to Blind Billy

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 9:44 PM   in reply to Blind Billy

First let me tell you that I do not have any problems viewing online PDF docs in IE10 on Windows 7, for example http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/adobe_reader_reference.pdf

I do not know what is causing your problems, but I am getting a little bit suspicious by your adventure on downloading Firefox.  Are you sure that your system is free of malware?  Firefox will never do any of the things that you described.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 11:54 PM   in reply to Blind Billy

Glad you got it sorted.

Regarding the IE10 update, you can prevent that in future by http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36512

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

I have the same problem on a machine.

It only occurs for 1 user however.

If you login as a different user, the problem does not occur.

Disabling the add-on does not force it to open outside the browser either.

Re-installing adobe reader 11 doesn't fix it either.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to Blind Billy

Blind Billy, I could hug you right now!!  I had the exact same experience you described above.  After working on this issue for countless hours, I was about ready to simply buy a new computer! I finally just uninstalled Internet Explorer 10 and BINGO! I can now read all the .pdf files online that I need to be able to see.

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you fixed the problem.  I'd love to go back to IE10, but I have to be able to see the .pdf files online.

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to treechaser4ever

The REAL Fix for this issue!  I've been fighting this for months and finally found the answer and a reasonable explanation!

http://superuser.com/questions/561036/unable-to-open-ie-10-in-32-bit-m ode

From the article,

"This occurs because the TabProcGrowth registry entry is set to 0, meaning tabs are set to run in the same process as the manager process (64-bit), rather than opening a new process for each tab (32-bit). You can fix this by changing the registry entry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\TabProcGrowth

Set it to something greater than 0, restart IE, and you should see normal behavior resume (and your add-ons should work again). "

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 9:00 PM   in reply to Thomas Amann

Thanks Thomas. This worked for me. I searched for days for a real fix!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to Thomas Amann

Thanks Thomas! Your answer worked for us as well. This has been a common problem and fixing the registry was the only thing that worked. Much appreciated.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points