Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

elipse path tool buggy?

Apr 23, 2013 2:50 PM

Tags: #paths #cs6 #bug_report #make_selection

My elipse tool paths (multiple in one document) disappear when I try to make selection. Is this a bug or is functioning of the tool different in CS6?

on a mac mini, cs6 photoshop 13.0.4 x 64

I have so many bugs in this new Photoshop that I'm nearly over the edge.

Can someone please help me?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 23, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

Welcome to the forum.

You really aren't being quite specific enough about what you're doing.  Are you trying to make a selection from the path(s)?

It might help others help you better if you could describe in step fashion what you're doing and what you expect to see.  You can use the little camera icon above the edit pane to post screen grabs.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 24, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

Snowball5500 wrote:

When I "make selection,"

What do you mean by that? Are you referring to the icon in the path pallet or some menu Item ? What

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 24, 2013 8:10 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

OK so the current active path should be turnd into a selection. Does that happen? What do you mean by " the paths disappear, and that's it." Do you mean there is no selection and the paths are removed from the paths palette or are the paths still there in the paths palette?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 8:30 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

In my work on CS6 (windows) I've not found any bug to be fixed with the ellipse tool. And for your particular complaint I have found the tool works as expected being able to "make selection" of multiple elliptical paths and the paths remain after selection.

I find several disconnects with your description of what you are doing so perhaps a more detailed description would be of help.  Perhaps show a screen capture showing all of the paths before they disappear and the exact steps used. In screenshot one only the triangular paths appear. Were the elements inside the ball perhaps created with  the ellipse tool working in shape mode instead of path mode?

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 25, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Snowball5500

Snowball5500 wrote:

But then when I "make selection"

paths.jpgMake selection should turn the active current path into a selection. If the current path has many path segment the resulting selection will be a merge of the segment and how the merge depends on the mode of the segments.  Here is an example 6 segments all have the add mode.

Next I deselected. Activated the path again use free transform to increase the size of all the segments. Then used the path selection tool to select segments on at a time and changed the mode of two segments and loaded the merge as a selection

path2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to Snowball5500

Snowball5500 wrote:

[...] yes, the shapes were likely made in shape mode (i think that was the default). Is that my problem? If so, is there anyway I can use these paths as I've made them - and fill them with a color? Do I really have to redraw the whole darn thing just because the correct mode was not used?

You shouldn't have to redraw anything. If you did create Shape layers, possibly with empty fill colour, then they will be available in Layers panel and can be given any colour of fill by double-clicking the thumbnail to access the Color Picker.

If you did only draw paths and not Shape layers then, instead of filling pixels at a fixed resolution, consider making a Shape layer(s) from the paths. Shape layers remain editable with the vector tools and can be scaled and otherwise transformed non-destructively. To make a Shape layer from an existing path, target the path then add a Fill layer.

I think JJ may be correct that your problem is related to the combining modes of the paths. As in your example, if the paths have Intersect mode and do not overlap then no selection will be created, and the lack of a "no pixels were selected" warning can be explained if you previously ticked the warning's "don't show again" checkbox. Also, when all subpaths of a path are involved in making a selection (whether successful or not), the path becomes detargeted and vanishes from display as you described, but if only a subset of the subpaths are involved then the path remains targeted and visible regardless of success.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:56 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

how to take all the path work I did and transfer it to the layers pal and do fills etc is my next question.

That was answered when I wrote, "To make a Shape layer from an existing path, target the path then add a Fill layer". The Fill layer will be automatically given a duplicate of the targeted path in a vector mask thus making it a Shape layer as seen below.

Screen shot 2013-05-01 at 00.42.40.png

Screen shot 2013-05-01 at 00.42.57.png

The vector mask that helps define a Shape layer does not appear in the Layers panel of CS6 unless the mask is disabled by shift-clicking its thumbnail in Properties panel. Ridiculous but true.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points