Skip navigation
FiveBuy160
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11:  Audio Transition Problem - Can't Center Between Two Clips?

Apr 23, 2013 2:50 PM

I've been using PE11 for about a month now, and have been having a recurring, albeit minor, problem:  I can't place an audio transition BETWEEN two clips.

When I drag the "Constant Power" Audio Transition to my timeline, it appears to place itself on the audio track between two clips, which is exactly where I want it.  However, the adjustment box that automatically pops up with it doesn't allow me to specify "Left Clip", "Between Clips", "Right Clip" - they are all greyed out.  Always.  No exceptions.  [Note:  I can, however, specify the duration.]  And even though I release the transition between clips, it always snaps to the left clip only, with nothing on the right.  I have plenty of overlap (head and tail) room on both clips, so that's not it.  Further, when I MANUALLY SLIDE the transition to the right, I can position it between clips.  However, I'd like NOT to have to manually slide it every time I need it between clips (which is a lot, as I smooth levels between disparate audio clips).

The video transitions work just fine between clips, just like they're supposed to.

Why doesn't (either) audio transition work?

P.S.  In a semi-related question, though I think I already know the answer to this one - is it possible to export just the audio from a clip, in order to work on it (clean it up, reduce noise) in a separate audio-only program, like Audacity?  I seem to recall this was possible in previous versions of Premiere Elements, but I don't see a way to easily accomplish it with PE11?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

You can Export/Share just the Audio. In most Publish+Share options, you can check/uncheck Export Audio, and Export Video. In your case, you will want to uncheck Export Video, and leave Export Audio checked.

I choose PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) @ 48KHz 16-bit for my Exported Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This article goes into a bit more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3843138#3843138

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

I am having the same problem in PE11 with audio transitions.  I didn't have this problem in earlier versions.  Any insights?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:17 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

I have the same problem you describe using PE 11. Your description is very accurate. It is very annoying having to manually slide the transition to the right, especially when you are working on a video with dozens of transitions. It must be a bug. I hope Adobe is aware of this defect and will fix it in the next version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to rdrocklin

Are both your incoming and outgoing audio and/or video clips trimmed back at least 1/2 a second to allow for transitional material?

If your clips are completely untrimmed on your timeline and you place a transition between them, the transition will usually lean more to one clip than the other -- and any necessary transitional footage will be created as a freeze frame.

If you can post a screen capture of your the two clips on your timeline BEFORE you add your transition between them, we can better see if this is the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to FiveBuy160

Again, if we can see a screen capture of the timeline, focusing on these clips, BEFORE you add the transition, we may get a better idea what is going on.

What your'e experiencing is not how the program typically behaves, in my experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

FiveBuy160

Your Premiere Elements 11 Expert view Windows audio transition issue has been confirmed by me in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit.

Of note is the audio (Constant Power) being placed for two trimmed audio clips at "Between Clips" while the Transition Adjustments Pop Up is still opens, but being pushed from there to "Left Clip" when clicking on Done to the Pop Up. The way to maintain the "Between Clips" set is to exit the Pop Up with the X button rather than click DONE.

The following were some rough observations with regard to this matter:

2 Untrimmed Audio Clip

Alignment = Left Clip (aka End at Cut), with no other choice in the Pop Up or by using the mouse to move the transition at the Timeline level.

Trimmed 1st Audio Clip/2nd Audio Clip Untrimmed

Actual placement of transition is Right Clip (aka Start at Cut) while Pop Up is still open. Closing the Pop Up with X button leaves the Right Clip auto placement, while clicking DONE pushes the Alignment to Left Clip. With mouse cursor at the Timeline level, transition can be aligned to Left Clip, Between Clips, or Right Clip, but alignment changes cannot be done in the Pop Up.

Untrimmed 1st Audio Clip/Trimmed 2nd Audio Clip

Actual placement of transition is Left Clip. That alignment cannot be changed with mouse at Timeline level or using Pop Up.

2 Trimmed Audio Clips

Actual placement of transition is Between Clips (aka Center at Cut) while the Pop Up is still open. Closing the Pop Up with X button leaves the Between Clips auto placement, while clicking DONE pushes the alignment to Left Clip. Transition alignment can be changed to either Left Clip, Between Clips, or Right Clip at the Timeline Level with the mouse, but alignment changes cannot be done in the Pop Up.

The actual placement of transition for the last 3 of the 4 appear to be in accord with Adobe writes about transition alignment related to trimmed and untrimmed clips. The first of the 4 was unexpected.

Comparison of Premiere Elements 10 counterparts will not be gone into at this time.  Premiere Elements 11 Windows Quick view does not offer audio transitions.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thank you A.T.Romano. Your description and those of FiveBuy160 are excellent and accurate. You used Constant Power, I use Constant Gain, but the result is the same. Steve, I don't think screen captures will help. I have two clips, both with plenty of head and tail room on both sides of the transition and I get exactly the results described by A.T. Romano and FiveBuy160. You can't see the head and tail room in the timeline so a screen capture won't tell you anything but I can assure you that it is there. The trick of closing the pop-up box with the X instead of clicking Done works for me. I just wish I new this before the hundred or so audio transitions I inserted into the movie I just completed!

Steve, are you an Adobe employee? I am wondering how this bug gets to the Adobe software engineers so they can fix it for the next version or for an update to PE11.

Roy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to rdrocklin

Feature requests / bug reports for Premiere Elements should be entered at the photoshop family site at http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

FiveBuy160

I am glad that my X button find worked for you and others.

What I was referring to was the following excerpt from an Adobe Tech Note on transition alignment and untrimmed and trimmed clips.

The model works quite well for video transitions, and it appears to follow for audio transitions as well.

• If both clips contain trimmed frames at the cut, you can center the transition over the cut or align it on either side of the cut so that it either starts or ends at the cut. A clip that has not been trimmed has a rounded edge in the upper-right corner of the clip.
    • If neither clip contains trimmed frames, the transition automatically centers over the cut and repeats the last frame of the first clip and the first frame of the second clip to fill the transition duration. (Diagonal bars appear on transitions that use repeated frames.)
    • If only the first clip contains trimmed frames, the transition automatically snaps to the In point of the next clip. In this scenario, the first clip’s trimmed frames are used for the transition, and frames are not repeated in the second clip.
    • If only the second clip contains trimmed frames, then the transition snaps to the Out point of the first clip. In this scenario, the second clip’s trimmed frames are used for the transition, and frames are not repeated in the first clip.

I was referring to what Premiere Elements 11 was actually targeting for a choice of alignment (with Pop Up still open) based on placement with the mouse cursor and what Adobe wrote as quoted above. It was the "if 2 untrimmed clips" that was not falling in line...

a. According to above "....automatically centers over the cut...."

b. What I was seeing in Premiere Elements 11 for this one was Left Clip

c. What I was seeing in Premiere Elements 10 for same audio clips as used in Premiere Elements 11 tests was Right Clip

I will be writing more about all this soon. I have no insider information and am not affiliated with Adobe in any way.

Thanks for the follow up from all.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

FiveBuy160

I will be writing about this another time, but, in several instances, it looks like you can very easily adjust the duration with the mouse cursor at the Timeline level (expanded with the -+ slider) and stay clear of the Transition Adjustments Pop Up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points