Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why do I get Colored bands on some images in LR4 and LR5, but not in Aperture?

Apr 23, 2013 6:34 PM

On some images -- both RAW and JPG -- when opened in LR4 or LR5, there will be one or two "curved" color abberation lines across the entire image. This doesn't occur when I open the images in Aperture. Any idea why? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to PortLewes

Can you show us a screen capture of this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to dj_paige

P1020775-2.jpg This is the photo in Lightroom 5; same as in Lightroom 4

Br1rn.jpegHere is the photo as opened in Aperture.

Thanks for any help!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to Hans Oberdiek

This is usually an indication of bad hardware; probably your hard disk.

I would definitely run some disk utilities on it to see if it reports problems or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Hans Oberdiek

Did you have the same file opened - and maybe - edited in Aperture?

Not everything that Aperture does might be readable by Lr.

Or, are you getting such bands also if you import in Lr directly from card?

In that case I would agree with dj_paige's comment about hardware failure. But it could be something as simple as a memory card or a cable or a card reader.

But what I find strange is that in you screen shot the upper band runs exactly horizontal while the lower band runs in a curve and it continues in the left part of the picture but is green. The upper band is magenta on the right and of a beige color on the left and you can see some elements of the picture in it but distorted. This doesn't look like hardware failure. At least I've never seen a corruption created by hardware failure that creates distorted elements of the image or creates curved bands. In hardware failure it's straight bands or rectangular blocks.

What camera are you using? Canon? In this case see post # 9 in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5258754#5258754

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to web-weaver

At least I've never seen a corruption created by hardware failure that creates distorted elements of the image or creates curved bands.

I agree, but if Lens Correction is turned on for this image (perhaps in a preset applied at import) then I could see how the curved band could arise.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to web-weaver

Thanks for your help. The camera in question is a Panasonic LX7; photo shot in Aperture mode. I imported from the SD card into Lightroom 5 and only two out of about 20 images had this "banding" problem. I then imported from the SD card again into Lightroom 4 with the same result. Since I also have Aperture, I thought I'd try that, so I imported from the SD card yet again -- and this time, no problem whatsoever!

No lens correction applied, incidentally in either LR4/5 or Aperture

My external hard drive -- on which images are stored -- is a newish Seagate 1TB drive. I'm a Mac user (obviously, with Aperture).

Any further advice/help/speculation would be appreciated.

Hans

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to Hans Oberdiek

I can't think of anything at the moment.

My only advice: watch this carefully, and if more images are corrupted - and if they show a different pattern - post them here - maybe somebody will know what this is.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to web-weaver

Can you upload a file with the issue to www.dropbox.com or similar temporary large-file-hosting service and post the public download link, here, for others to try?   

This would help determine if it is something with your computer or in the file, itself.

Is it possible that Aperture is showing you the camera-embedded JPG by default?  What happens if you actually produce a JPG from the raw file in Aperture?

It is possible that there is a minor glitch in the raw data that Aperture is forgiving but Adobe is not.

I suspect that the curvature is in fact due to lens corrections, and that these lens corrections are always on, as is the case for several if not many recent point-and-shoot cameras.  I say this because someone downloaded a user-contributed lens-correction profile for the LX7 and it didn’t have much effect, suggesting there corrections, already.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points