Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Your favorite After Effects?

Apr 23, 2013 8:18 PM

Hello,

I am new to After Effects. I know a little more about Premiere Pro as i started when CS5 Came out.

I decided to join Adobe Cloud...so much good stuff!

Question:

The Project i am working on is for a DVD with around 90 minutes of edited video.

The video is going to be more of beautiful Back ground video and beautiful music.

I want to add some great Special effects to the videos scenes of Ocean waves,

Great Shots in Peru of Machu Picchu, Carmel , Ca Sunsets, Hot air Ballons, Cabo etc

Wondering what some of this forums favorite effects might be for some of the shots?

I have gone through most of Lynda.com's after effects training and have played with some of the effects

there are so many!!!   I like glows, and light rays, sparkles, gels etc.

I am open to buying some extras if you know of some good presets. At this point i dont have a lot of time to play

Any ideas would be great

Thanks,

Soshman

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2013 11:26 PM   in reply to Soshman

What kind of special effects? There are legion. From overlays, to color effects, to transitions. I usually find that the most important part of any project is the timing and pace of the project. The least important part, and the part that can quickly make a presentation look amateurish, are special effects and fancy transitions.

Figure out what story you want to tell and then use your editing skills to enhance that story. A pixie dust transition with lots of movie magic never was the defining moment of a story.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Soshman

Please understand that the questions you ask are a matter of personal taste. 

Every designer has his or her own notions of how things should look.  If you ask for specific effects to use in AE, you will get standard answers.  These will probably be tricks that have been used over and over again.

Will they look cheesy to your eyes?  We don't know.  Will they enhance your video?  We don't know.  Will they be impressive to your intended viewing audience?  We don't know.

It is very difficult to give useful advice on matters of artistic preference and personal taste.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to Soshman

I like effects that make use of the camera tracker.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Soshman

My point is that i am new...and i dont even know what the same ones used again and again are!

Here's something else to consider: it is a very rare instance when just one effect is used in AE.  They're usually combinations of effects, and combinations of AE compositions as well.  So it's extremely difficult to point you to the list of AE effects and say, "Try this one".

You might as well ask a landscape artist how he mixed basic colors on his palette to make the colors that show a pot of colorful flowers, part of which have fallen into shadow, on his latest painting.  The chances are very good that he eyeballed it, and just kept mixing until they looked right to him.  How do you quantify the exact colors and in their exact proportions?  You don't.

This is the sort of thing that requires hard-won experience.  Please understand that I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but we've all been where you are and we all had to go though the same basic learning processes.  We've all developed our own styles, and have modified them over time.  And in time, you'll do the same.  Keep pluggin' away at it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 12:01 AM   in reply to Soshman

Hi,

If i can chip in here, what I think might be a good idea, is to cut your project together completely. Then while watching it play back, take sections that you feel are either too flat, or sections you feel could do with a little something. Then, you try and think what kind of "something" you would like it to have, then ask again - "What could I use to make this hot air balloon move accross the background with fake paralax?" for instance.

That way we can maybe point you a little better at a specific direction.

BUT... having said that, with my project being a space type show, I tend to go for displacment maps to make interresting warps or invisible objects flicker etc. I also LOVE lens flares!

Dont underestimate the value of text effects in a project like yours. There could be hundreds of places to drop some great looking text in, just to add something more!

anyway, thats my 2cents.

Pierre

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 12:17 AM   in reply to Soshman

Soshman wrote:

The Project i am working on is for a DVD with around 90 minutes of edited video.

The video is going to be more of beautiful Back ground video and beautiful music.

I want to add some great Special effects to the videos scenes of Ocean waves,

Great Shots in Peru of Machu Picchu, Carmel , Ca Sunsets, Hot air Ballons, Cabo etc

Wondering what some of this forums favorite effects might be for some of the shots?

Your question is way to vague to be answered. Are you looking for transition effects, do you want to enhance your clips or do you just want to add some effects for the sake of adding some effects? 90 minutes are quite long and we don't even know what type of music you are using. Will it be some fast paced, energetic sound, chillout, trance, smooth jazz or even classic? All these details will make a difference whether we could reccomend one effect and not mention another one.

That being said, I like effects that don'r cry out loud: "Hey, looke here! I'm a special effect!"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Soshman

LOL - I'm seeing some judicious use of the Vector Blur coming into play. Mabye FloMotion too.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to Soshman

Any effect or enhancement to an image that I may apply depends on the image and the story I'm trying to tell. If it's romantic I sometimes duplicate the layer, blur the top copy and change the blend mode to screen (instant sexy). If it's industrial I may jack up the saturation and crush some of the blacks. Emphasizing a specific part of an image or footage may involve duplicating the layer, rotoscope or masking the feature, setting the layers to 3D and adding a camera move. There are just too many effects to list. I don't have any favorites because each story I tell is different.

90 minutes of a slide show is a very long time. I hope the music is great. I did a bunch of video albums for Miramar with Tangerine Dream and David Lanz and Paul Spier (there are some names from the past) that involved aerial footage, SteadyCam work, Time Lapse and other tricks. Most of the segments were about 3 minutes long. It involved months of work, tens of thousands of feet of film and a lot of planning. I hope your 90 minute program turns out for you. Telling a 90 minute story is a bunch of work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points