Skip navigation
Aktaras6
Currently Being Moderated

Light laptop for video editing?

Apr 24, 2013 12:47 AM

Tags: #laptop #light #video_editing #intel_hd_4000

Hi,

I'm heading on a long trip in Asia where I'll be doing video editing on the go a lot. I'm open to either Mac or PC, with a preference for PC. Can anyone advise me on the best weight versus performance compromise?

I was thinking of going for a Dell XPS 13 with this setup:

• 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3537U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
  • Windows 8, 64-bit, English
  • 13.3" FHD 1080p
  • 8GB1 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
  • 256GB Solid State Drive
  • Intel HD 4000
  • 2.99 lbs

I'm a bit leary of the Intel HD 4000. The rest seems pretty good to me, what do you think?

I don't need top notch performance, but I don't want to be falling alseep over my Pad Thai waiting for rendering for basic effects.

Thanks a lot

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 1:55 AM   in reply to Aktaras6
    1. A laptop is always a compromise and can not deliver top notch performance.
    2. Only 8 GB memory is a severe drawback, 16 GB would be much better.
    3. Only a single SSD is not enough. You need at least another 7200 RPM (e)SATA disk or USB3 disk for media.
    4. You need a wall outlet to power that extra disk and one for the laptop, because the battery does not last long enough under heavy load.
    5. The Intel HD 4000 card stinks for video editing, especially in comparison to nVidia with CUDA and 1+ GB VRAM.
    6. The i7-3537u is only a dual core @ 2.0 GHz.

The best you can expect is a system that is among the bottom 5%, at least 30 - 50 x slower than a fast system. Realize that when a fast system needs one hour to export a timeline, this laptop will need three to four days for the same job. Another reason you need that wall outlet. See PPBM5 Benchmark

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

May I add that IMHO a 13.3" screen might be a bid small for Premiere as well. I have a Dell Prescision 15.6" which is ok for occasionally editing, and if you get a 15.6" you might change the internal DVD drive to an extra harddisk - I did that with mine, so that I have two SSD's inside now, and together with 16 GB RAM, it works ok, but I still prefer my desktop.

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Aktaras6

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to Aktaras6

I would shy away from an embedded Intel graphics chip. Intel makes great chips, but with video drivers, they have not been very good. Maybe things will change, but I recommend nVidia, or AMD/ATI for a video-editing rig. Those Intel chips, and their driver support (or lack thereof), are OK for general computing, but fall far short in the update department.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to Aktaras6

Good luck, and please update this thread, when you have made your choice, and all is working well for you, as it's a fairly common request.

The individual recs. that I could give, woud all fall short on the "light weight" end, as they are more "portables," than units that one would likely want to carry around for long hours.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points