Skip navigation
gotobemac
Currently Being Moderated

Any clue why SWF won't run in IE after text change in .as file?

Apr 24, 2013 6:11 AM

Tags: #help #as3 #swf #flash_professional_cs6 #flash_professional_cs5

I have a Flash map that was developed by an outside vendor in 2010. I have made modifications to the text strings in the associated .as files since then and have had no trouble with the resulting exported swf. I believe these were made before updating from Flash CS5 to Flash CS6.

Yesterday I made one small correction in a text string and exported a new SWF. The new SWF is proceeded by a preloader. The preloader runs and the progress bar goes to the 95% mark and then hangs in IE 8. It runs fine in Firefox 20.0. I have exported the SWF using Flash CS5 and Flash CS6. The results are the same.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to gotobemac

We'd need more information on what you changed to comment. Could it possibly involve a string delimited by apostrophes and you added an apostrophe in the middle?

e.g.

var myString:String = 'This string doesn't terminate correctly.'; // error, the apostrophe in doesn't causes an error

This would cause a syntax error before compiling the SWF, but the idea is the same with any externally loaded text, such as XML. Characters thrown in can cause issues if they're not encoded correctly. Don't consider this example too literal considering the compiler would catch it.

If something simple like that is not the case you'll have to share the code so we can spot errors.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to gotobemac

Glad it's working! Mark any helpful/correct to close the thread so we can filter unanswered. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points