Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reference monitor not responding to color correction changes

Apr 24, 2013 6:19 AM

Tags: #color_correction #reference_monitor

I just purchased this robust machine from ADK and am now using CS6 cloud.  So far, everything is rockin fast.  I applied fast color corrector and RGB color corrector to a clip (as I usually do). 

The reference monitor will not respond when I have both effects activated.  It will respond to fast color alone.  It will not react to RGB.  The effects are working, as I see changes in the source monitor.  I rely on the reference monitor when I color correct.  Below are the specs of my new machine.  Can anyone advise me where to begin?

MotherboardADK - LGA1155: Z77 Thunderbolt 2x 16X PCIe, 3 PCIe 1x, 2 PCI, dual channnel DDR3
ProcessorIntel - Core i7 IVB @ 4.5GHz or higher Quad 8 meg cache with HT

CoolingNoctua - NH-U9B SE2 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler 8-13DB
Cooling 2ADK - ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua
Memory32gig 4x8gig DDR3 1600 LV CL11-11-11-28 Lifetime warranty
Memory 2None
Memory 3Paragon Backup & Recovery 12 Suite with ADK recovery DVD.
Hard Drive 1Western Digital - 1 TB Black 7200 rpm - Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s - 64 Meg Cache 5yr warranty
Hard Drive 2Western Digital - 2TB Raid 0(2x 1TB 64Meg) 5 yr warranty
Hard Drive 3Western Digital - 2TB Raid 0(2x 1TB 64Meg) 5 yr warranty

VideoGeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Video 2None
CD/CD-RW/DVDAsus - BW-12B1ST Internal Blu-ray Writer
CD/CD-RW/DVD 2USB 3.0 Flash Card Reader/Writer

Thanks,

Lisa

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to lisaellensegal

Are you monitoring via HDMI on the GTX670,

or are you using a third-party display card?

Was your system delivered pre-configured with CS6 installed?

Does your system include a support warranty?

ADK Support

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/support.cfm

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 6:43 AM   in reply to lisaellensegal

Is you graphics card supported by CS6? If not. have you tried the hack that Adobe suggests for unsupported cards?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to lisaellensegal

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that it is not your PC at fault. RGB breaks my reference monitor also. Now, since I have an ADK PC also, with the same graphics card,  a third user will need to verify this bug, but I expect that it is just a bug.

The bad news is that there is a pretty bad bug. If you apply the RGB color corrector, with or without any other effect, the Reference monitor breaks. In a rather interesting way, The composite video works but that is about it.

If someone else will please verify that the scopes on the reference monitor don't work when the RGB Color Corrector is applied, we'll get this bug report into Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to lisaellensegal

No, RGB curves does not have the same issue.

I don't think it is a problem with the graphics card but since we both have the same card we need a third party verification of the bug. Maybe lasvideo will try it out for us?

How about it? Give it a try> Someone? Anyone?

If nobody else has the problem on a different card we'll talk to Eric at ADK, but I doubt that's it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 7:42 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I can't replicate this.  The RGB Color corrector works fine, even when combined with the Fast Color Corrector.  No matter what I do, the Reference Monitor is updated as expected, both Composite and Scopes, applied directly to the clip or to an Adjustment Layer, software or CUDA accelerated, different kinds of media...

Basically, I can't get it to break.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 10:15 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

OK. What graphics card do you have? I am hoping we can get a GTX680 user involved as well as some other model.

I'll ask Eric to post his findings here.  My reference monitor, set to anything other than composite, just sits there like there is a graphics driver issue. So, while the 670 is not on the list, the 680 is, so perhaps that's the difference. Adobe has not tested the 670. Or had not by 6.0.3 and may have by now for Premiere Pro CS-Next.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

The plugin does not update the scopes but will update the full screen playback. This happens whether the player is in Hardware MPE mode or Software. That means this is not a Video card issue. This is tied to something else. May be the video driver not accepting the draw information for that plugin or something with the specific media decoding. I am not sure yet.

Also if you render the timeline then the Plugin works fine with scopes and playback.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to ECBowen

If you select Sequence settings and then checkmark Max Bit Depth and Render Quality, that will fix the RGB from updating realtime. I am still not sure why Jim's is not showing it but this does fix the player communicating with the video driver.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Tested on Win 8 Pro using a 560 Ti, driver 314.22.  I did have Max Bit Depth checked for the sequence.  Turned it off and things went weird.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 10:53 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Leave it to Eric to find the solution. Hat's off to you. Thanks for the assist.

And that, my friends, is one of the many reasons I had Eric build my PC. The devil is in the details.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points