Skip navigation
youngprimitive
Currently Being Moderated

how to reinstall bridge

Apr 24, 2013 7:49 AM

Tags: #problem #help #adobe #bridge #mac #crash #thumbnails #cache #cs6 #creative_cloud #bridge_cs6

Hello, I started to have problems with my bridge. Im using it every day whole day for my work. Mac, Mountain lion, CS6. It stoped refresh items in directory, alert occured to purge cache. I did it one milion times but without any effect (except realoading thumbnails) At the end I uninstalled bridge using appcleaner, but how I can get it again? Im using adobe application manager and there is no possibility to intall just bridge. Can anyone help me please?

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 24, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to youngprimitive

At the end I uninstalled bridge using appcleaner, but how I can get it again? Im using adobe application manager and there is no possibility to intall just bridge. Can anyone help me please?

Don't know what appcleaner you are talking about but in general it is not wise to use other then Adobe official uninstall software to uninstall parts of Adobe.

However, Bridge is part of other Suite software and as such not present as itself in the list, usually installing Photoshop does instal Bridge also.

So be sure to have a back up of all your custom settings (or use time Machine) regarding presets (actions etc) and custom tool presets. If you had your own keywords list in Bridge you should have exported that first as a back up. but maybe that is to late now.

Per OSX 10.7 the user library is by default hidden in MacOs, use menu Go with option to reveal it. In this user library is a folder called Application support. Inhere find the file called Adobe and make a copy of this file for back up purpose.

In this 'adobe' folder are the custom saved presets for PS as well as some parts of Bridge (keywords, custom settings for AOM, workspaces, collections etc.) so you can always copy parts back to the same location after reinstalling to get your custom presets etc back.

In the same user library is a folder called caches/ inhere also a folder called Adobe, find it and navigate to Bridge CS6. inhere are a plug in and a folder called cache (here are all the cached previews from Bridge stored). Drag both the plug in and Bridge cache folder outside the library, preferable to the trash. (both files will refresh them self after restarting Bridge the first time after install)

I would choose to deactivate PS first (menu help in PS) and then go the application folder Adobe Photoshop and use the Uninstall option for Adobe (bottom of content list in Adobe Photoshop CS6). Then use Application Manager and reinstall Photoshop.

You should be OK after restarting PS and Bridge but do have to work a bit to reset your custom prefs and presets as well as recache the images again.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 24, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to youngprimitive

unistall it with official uninstall app, download photoshop and install again

Do you have Creative Cloud or just a copy of PS on disc or download?

It seems to me you also have to run the Adobe Cleaner Tool, check this out and read first the instructions before acting:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

This will remove some hidden parts from your computer and after that you need to reinstall the lot I'm afraid.

I hope this will help you, I expect it does.

When running again in Cache trouble (it happens every now and then for some unknown reason, the higher version of Bridge the less you will experience it) first use the manual delete of the Bridge cache folder (maybe combined with the Bridge plist file form the preferences in user library and try again before using 3th party software to uninstall and remove applications.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 25, 2013 12:12 AM   in reply to youngprimitive

So you tell me that I have to uninstall whole CS6 applications and reinstall them back to have bridge again

I can't judge your system or set up from here and I agree that it is not attractive to uninstall the lot. I just pointed you to another option  trying to solve your problem...

It might be an option to try uninstall PS once more and in AAM change prefs to another language and download PS again.

But in my experience  once things have been truly screwed up trying to get an easy solution takes sometimes more effort and time then to bite the bullet and start all over again. I have done so late past year. back Up settings, deactivate, uninstall, ran clean script but also used the free Easy Find (Devon) to get rid of every lasting Adobe CC file and after this reinstall again in the late evening and let it run overnight downloading and installing the applications and next day ran the updates. Back in business again.

It's a pain for now but a time saver for the future.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 25, 2013 12:55 AM   in reply to youngprimitive

But after reinstall photoshop, bridge is now BACK! Problem solved! Thx man!

Glad your problem is solved!

Next time Bridge cache is problematic dump it manually, will be a lot faster and easier...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points