Skip navigation
10DNB
Currently Being Moderated

LR4.4 Backup

Apr 24, 2013 8:10 AM

Tags: #problem #library #lr4

On installing LR4.4 on my Win7 PC, backing up of my 1.3GB catalog has been unreliable sometimes hanging and needing restarting and always taking hours. Can anybody help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to 10DNB

It might have something to do with the previews folder (previews cache). In Lr 4.4 optimizing the previews is part of the backup (as is optimizing the catalog). If the previews folder is very large or if Lr encounters problems there, it might take a long time.
    Try this: Move the previews folder to another folder - temporarily. The previews folder - a folder with the extension <  .lrdata>-  is located right next to the catalog (the file with the extension <  .lrcat>. You find the location of the catalog file in >edit >Catalog Settings / general tab.
    While Lr is closed move the lrdata-folder to another folder (via Mac Finder / Win Explorer>. When Lr doesn't find previews it creates a new previews folder and builds new previews. So moving the previews folder out of the way doesn't create problems with Lr.
    Then open Lr. Don't do any work in Lr but close and backup the catalog.

If the backup is faster now, then you know that the problem is in the previews folder. I would suggest that you discard the old previews folder.
    But if the backup does not go faster, you can replace the newly created previews folder with the old one.

I also would suggest: If you have Lr set to create 1:1 previews, select to discard these previews after a time (in Catalog Settings / File Handling tab). If 1:1 previews are never discarded the previews folder will grow very large, and this may be the cause of the slow backup because Lr has to optimize a huge amount of 1:1 previews.bout the sam

PS: My catalog is about the same size as yours (1.12 GB) but my backup goes relatively fast - about 4 min.

Message was edited by: web-weaver: PS added

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to 10DNB

David,

I would not recommend skipping the optimization phase. Optimization is a means to prevent corrupted catalogs and previews. Doing it only occasionally - and you know what that could mean when we are pressed for time - is IMHO a recipe for problems.
    I close Lr at the end of my day and let it do its backup. If it takes too long, I do some stretching exercises - I need them anyway after sitting in front of the computer for hours.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to 10DNB

Optimization of the previews is new in Lr 4.4. At least I've never noticed it before.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points