Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can you create responsive sites with Adobe Muse?

Apr 24, 2013 10:16 AM

Tags: #adobe_muse #responsive_website

I am building a design portfolio for myself and would like to make it a responsive website (when you resize the browser the website resizes as well). 

I looked online for answers but to no avail. If Muse does have these capabilities, I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to JohnMillr

Hello John,

Adobe Muse currently does not support Responsive layout.

It has already been logged as a feature request : http://forums.adobe.com/ideas/1993

I would suggest you to add your vote and valuable comments to the post.

Regards,

Sachin

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to JohnMillr

Muse does not implement "Responsive Layout" as defined by a hand coder (which means using one HTML file and one set of images for multiple layout variations that are driven from multiple CSS definitions usually triggered by media queries).

However, Muse does provide a few features for creating a web page design that responds to some degree to resizing of the browser window:

1) Browser Fill Images set to Scale to Fill or Scale to Fit (generally with the page fill and stroke set to none, so the browser fill is the background everywhere)

2) 100% Browser width objects (which can contain background images set to Scale to Fill, Scale to Fit, Center, etc. and which can include text frames)

3) Pinned items, which maintain a specific location offset from one or two edges of the browser window

You may want to look through the sites at the Muse Site-Of-The-Day to get a feel for the spectrum of webpage designs Muse is capable of.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to Zak Williamson (Adobe)

Zak,

i don't understand this explanation ?

and example please ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to XTB013

What Zak is saying is that it is not yet possible natively in Muse. But he suggested some faux-responsive layout technique that has been integrated in Muse. Even at that they have their limitations too. Like the browser fill images he referred to does not support 100% height. (Please note)

I hope that is clear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to topelovely

ok

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to JohnMillr

Hi!

I also think that the lack of opportunities responsive to Adobe Muse is its great disadvantage. Instead, we were forced to do as many as three different sites under each of the devices! I was very angry, especially when I was doing a template for Adobe Muse Market, have to spend 3 times as much time ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to eugenezubov

I 100% agree with eugenezubov. The adaptive solution to mobile was not a direction for Muse.(The team just wanted to give us a temporary solution to ease the request-tensions and the negative publicity it will give Muse)  In a tablet version, the contents of a desktop version of a site would often be maintained on that medium, and that will be hell of a work to redo! I'm working on a site now and am finding it difficult delivering on schedule. It's just like doing the site all over again.

Nevertheless, Muse future is bright,  if the Muse team can place priority into Muse-BC 'marriage', then non-BC features later. I believe that will help in finding a better workflow and arriving at a perfect solution (BC already supports responsive design/Unlimited list templates, etc )

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to JohnMillr

You have to understand how Adobe works. As a long, long, long time user of their products I have extensive knowledge of how it goes. See Adobe always makes sure the first 3 or 4 versions of a product are completely useless. The whole time pushing "full releases" that dont deserve "beta" titles, and claiming it will be good one day. Then after several years of frustration, they finally just listen to the users and release a version that works well. But 6 months later the product is immediately behind the times because it took 6 years to realize people actually want to use the most current technology.

So in short, to answer your question. No, it does not do very simple things that have been around for years.

This coming from a 19yr (and $36,000) veteren of Adobe Video products.
    I use them, I'm good at them, I don't have to like it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 7:04 PM   in reply to eugenezubov

Hi all,

I am really glad I saw this thread! I was ready to jump in and learn Muse because it looks like it fits my kind of design process -- but if there isn't a capability for adaptive/responsive designs, it looks like not only am I designing three sites -- I am also updating three sites!

Maybe I better learn wordpress instead...at least there are free responsive templates from their community.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to bzart

bzart you might check out Artisteer 4. It creates responisive templates for Wordpress and other CMS like Joomla or Droopal. Its basically a fast and easy css generator that steamlines the process for a designer. I often will generate a layout then edit the files in CC. http://www.artisteer.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to JohnMillr

Muse now has a limited ability to create separate layouts for phones and tablets. This feature was just added to the latest version of Muse CC on November 12, 2013.

While this allows you to build custom layouts, it still doesn't make the program fully responsive. Many designers want to create specific layouts for multiple devices by using multiple media queries. At this time you're only able to build one for phones and one for tablets. This doesn't even allow you control over the orientation of the device (landscape or portrait).

But stay tuned. I'm sure Adobe has more secrets up their sleeves and will be providing more responsive capabilities in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 2:39 PM   in reply to JMaivald

Isn't Muse just Reflow without the responsive piece?  Why would I choose to use Muse when I can use Reflow?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 5:00 PM   in reply to Uxable

Isn't reflow just for 'mock ups' ? It doesn't create production ready HTML and as far as I know shouldn't be used for live sites .. really Muse and reflow need to merge into one app that is really useful, instead of two almost useful ones

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 6:09 PM   in reply to kevinneal01

Reflow and Muse are two totally different products aimed at two totally different markets.

Muse is aimed at visual designers and print designers. It is a one-stop shop, a dead-end street. The code is machine written and you can't really hand it off to a developer. So, it's really not a development platform. Adobe may add extensions to it and other features, like shopping carts and blogging engines, but today its limited.

Reflow is designed for building responsive components. It's geared toward coders and web designers. It is still under development. So, you really can't draw too many conclusions from it yet. Eventually, I think it will either be a standalone product or rolled into another product, like Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 6:14 PM   in reply to JMaivald

I've just started looking at muse, I have a web background but work at a design agency where the designers have limited web skills, I don't think muse is particularly good at building full websites, but I was thinking of suggesting it for building eshot landing pages, so the designers can knock out one off pages.

Do you think this is a good use for it?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 6:29 PM   in reply to kevinneal01

I do most of my work in Dreamweaver. It has some visual design capabilities, but not as much as Muse. Muse is nice if you want a few pages and that's it and don't ever want to see the code. It's basically a front end for Business Catalyst and has some very cool features, like slide shows, accordions and menus. Many of those items would take days to hand-code.

But it is not building one page for desktop, tablet and phone, it's building three separate pages. Not the best practice. It's not a web design tool as much as a "webpage" design tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 3:13 AM   in reply to JMaivald

So....

Muse is the 'finished' product, results in unusable code, and does not allow responsive design?

Reflow also results in unusable code, but does allow for wireframing/comping a responsive experience?

I'm not sure I see the point of either if the code is unusable for handoff to developers.  I guess Reflow could be used to wireframe a responsive layout for demonstration / signoff purposes, but then what's the point if it can't output usable markup and CSS?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 3:52 AM   in reply to Uxable

STOP SENTIND ME THIS GARBAGE. I DID NOT SUBSCRIBE.

STOP SENDING IT NOW

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 3:55 AM   in reply to jkijki

You have to go on the forum and click the link to "Stop Email Notifications" we aren't sending these to you, its automated!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 3:57 AM   in reply to kevinneal01

i DID THAT click the link to "Stop Email Notifications" IT DIDN'T WORK

. I NEVER SUBSCRIBED TO THIS THREAD SOME IDIOT HAS ADDED ME TO IT

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 3:58 AM   in reply to kevinneal01

DO NOT EMAIL BACK TO ME I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ANYTHING HERE

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 6:05 AM   in reply to jkijki

(well this got interesting)

Listen carefully "jkijki"...

The email updates you are getting are not coming from actual people...

You are receiving automated updates from what is called a 'thread' on an 'internet forum' for a company called Adobe.  Somehow you got subscribed to this "forum thread" and that is why you are getting automated email updates every time someone 'replies' to the 'thread'. Maybe someone else was on your computer at some point?

Perhaps you should ask someone who understands technology a bit more to handle this for you...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 6:26 AM   in reply to Uxable

If you need to "hand-off" your design to a developer then Muse is not for you. Period.

It's a product designed for a specific market. There are millions of people out there that just need a simple website, but want to be able to create it without learning tons of code that they may never use again. Muse is geared for them.

Reflow is a work in progress. Edge Animate was like this two years ago and now it's a very usable product. Basically, it's an open beta allowing the community to contribute to its development. Building responsive sites is very hard to do for most people. Making it easier is a noble endeavor. Reflow is aiming at that market. Personally, I'm hoping that it becomes a feature of Dreamweaver so I can start using it sooner than later.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 6:53 AM   in reply to JMaivald

So what I'm hearing is: None of these products would be useful in a professional arena / creative agency setting,  since they're essentially producing code that developers wouldn't want to touch...

What professionals need are tools that can be used for wireframing responsive interactive prototypes that also produce markup and css that's at least usable enough so developers don't have to start with a blank slate.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 7:34 AM   in reply to Uxable

Yes, Muse would not be that product. Reflow isn't a finished product yet, so that's not a factor. You'll just have to wait for it to be finalized.

You can always use Dreamweaver or Edge Code if you want to create HTML that you need to hand off. DW is especially helpful because it is very extensible and has a long history with many users. It provides visual design capabilities and the latest version has some advanced CSS trouble-shooting tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2014 5:06 PM   in reply to JMaivald

Adobe.  Listen up.  While I respect you folks immensely (I really mean that) I'm really dissapointed that when I needed responsive tools you don't have a product ready and waiting for me.  I love Muse, I host many sites with it but I am going to complely change direction and move to tools like webflow like tonight if you don't announce an upcoming Muse responsive design offering. 

I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS.  I am paying for the creative cloud and took time learning muse and like how it functions.  However, responsive design isn't a luxury it's a NEED. 

Please fix this, you have about 24 hours before I bounce as a customer and I'm never going to come back, because I'm going to have lockin in with some other tool.  Announce a project to get it done in 30 days and I'm in.  Be 15 days late delivering, I'll forgive you... but show some sign that you understand this is serious. 

I also know you are too big to care about 1 customer but I assure you all your other customers are thinking about it.  We are design people and we are getting our ***** handed to us with amazing responsive sites with vector based CSS that renderers faster (so retains users better). 

As a company Adobe no longer benefits finacially from diving your various offerings.  Please give me one tool that can just handle this please please please!! 

Your loyal fan of 10+ years

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2014 6:03 PM   in reply to djyaz1200

THIS ^^^

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2014 7:18 AM   in reply to djyaz1200

DJ, First, technically speaking the lastest version of Muse is "responsive". You can create three different layouts for Desktop, Tablet and cell phone. It does not implement this support in the industry best practices, but I don't know of any plans in the works to offer anything further than this. But as we have discussed above Muse is NOT the tool for a web developer. It is a tool for individuals to build microsites or vanity sites. Simple, small sites for specific purposes.

If you are truly building many sites and want then truly responsive, Muse isn't the product you want. You should use Dreamweaver or something else. I like specific features and functions in Muse, but I can't use it for most of my work because I can't read/edit the code it makes. It was not intended for that purpose. It's good for what it does. My toolbox has many tools in it. Not one of those tools does every job I need to do. But I use each one for its best purpose. When a product tries to do everything, it usually doesn't do any of them very well. I'm sure Muse will get more and more functionality, but I doubt if it will ever replace Dreamweaver and Dreamweaver will probably never be able to do all the things Muse does. I'll keep them both in my toolbox.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2014 2:10 PM   in reply to JMaivald

Muse does claim that you can create mobile versions of a website which is actually like designing 3 separate websites (desktop, tablet and phone). Updates or changes to the site need to be done 3 times. This is just crazy as this post claims it is 'responsive': http://www.adobe.com/nz/products/muse/designing-for-mobile-devices.htm l

How do I create the site so that I don't need to make changes 3 times? Anyone know?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2014 3:01 PM   in reply to gotojagcreative

http://macaw.co/ this is the solution it seems with all the mighty power adobe has they can't come up with something like this

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 2:05 PM   in reply to gotojagcreative

The pages ARE technically responsive. They just aren't built using industry best practices. Don't use Muse if you don't want to compromise ease of use with efficient workflows. Use Dreamweaver and build media queries. You could also use the insert HTML command and build an <iframe> with the specific content.

Think of Muse the way you would think of a dog. Don't get a retriever if you want a herding dog. Each is perfectly fine for what they are bred to do. You just are going to get bad results if you try to use them for tasks they are not suited for. The same goes for hammers and screw drivers. Pick the tool that works best for what you want done.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 2:12 PM   in reply to aztlanny

http://macaw.co/ this is the solution it seems with all the mighty power adobe has they can't come up with something like this

Macaw looks very similar to Edge Reflow. But as a full fledged HTML editor it leaves a lot wanting. This would be a cool program to build a flashy webpage, but it seems to be lacking website management tools and quickly code editing. I don't see a way to build a single box with several paragraphs tagged individually. It seems like you have to draw every heading and paragraph separately. I'm still playing with it but I would not replace Dreamweaver with Macaw yet.

I also don't see a way to bring in a bunch of text content that would preserve the existing formatting. I'm still playing with it, but I'm not awed by anything yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 2:51 PM   in reply to JMaivald

I understand what you are saying at the same time feel Muse "can" (if developers wanted and listen) integrate this features, but have the feelin there is a personal agenda and corporate interest not to include this features (I'm thinking sdobe forms), but as you can see in this video Muse is almost capable of doing responsive web design, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1YxVgDxk_w     this is software not a specific dog breed, and as of now we are using it as it is, but asking and wishing for this  features that other programs already have, bring this amazing program to 2014 needs is what we are asking, muse is a software targeted for designers with little or no code knowledge and that is how I expected to be.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 7:59 PM   in reply to aztlanny

Unfortunately, you are the beginning cycle of the product. It is brand new. Just last year it didn't even have it's current feature for responsiveness.

It really depends on how popular Muse becomes and how many people are pushing its development. Adobe responds to market pressure. If enough people ask for a feature, it usually happens over time. I'm really amazed at the progress of Muse so far. The same is true about Edge Animate. Look at all the cool features InDesign has. But if you want it today, you are out of luck. It took InDesign 10 years to get where it is now.

Like Henry Ford said of the Model-T. You can have any color you want as long as it's "black". Today, cars come in dozens of colors and if you are willing to wait you can get your choice.

Dreamweaver already does responsive design. I included a chapter in the Classroom in a Book for CC. Muse has many features that Dreamweaver doesn't have and probably won't. But I would not use Muse for a full responsive site today.

Both programs are good for what they do and the markets they serve. There is no such thing as a perfect program. Take that for what it's worth. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 8:28 PM   in reply to JMaivald

That is all fine whether it's dogs or black cars. The problem we all seem to be having though is that you're advertising that you have every colour car under the rainbow, but in fact you only have black. Don't sell me a dog that you claim can can retrieve, hunt and herd if it can only sit there and pant.

Adobe tells people that it can do responsive when it cannot. Simple. Change that and then they won't be misleading anyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 9:39 PM   in reply to JMaivald

Muse does responsive. There is NOT one definition for responsive. Many designers build separate sites/pages for cell phones and tablets. Muse follows that model whether you like it or agree with it or not.

This is not my preferred method but it is "responsive" nonetheless.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2014 7:54 AM   in reply to JMaivald

Actually.... A "responsive" site specifically refers to a single code base that adapts the UI to different devices. Separate code for separate divices is not responsive.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2014 2:43 PM   in reply to Uxable

I want to resolve this issue for all of you guys....try and see it with your own eyes....In order to make a responsive website in Muse to work on all your mobile devices...all you need to do is one thing...select the text icon, drag it out on your canvas, select whatever elements outside of the canvas, right click on your mouse, scroll down, select "Cut" and and paste it inside the text box you just created...Upload and view it all on your mobile devices...

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2014 11:36 PM   in reply to JMaivald

Hi JMaivald,

Is it possible to add responsive code to the code generated by Adobe Muse?

I am a website designer and my manager wants us to use Muse, than bring on our coder to add code to for whatever Muse is incapable of right now....

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points