Skip navigation
pewi2000
Currently Being Moderated

5.1sound on disc, burning to bd or avchd?

Apr 24, 2013 10:55 AM

Tags: #5.1 #avchd #or #bd

Hi,i am new on this forum,

I am using première elements 11 and captured clips from a sony HD camcorder.

1920x1020 5.1 sound

In the timeline i see 5.1 in the audiotrack.(elements11)

Do i output to avchd disc or to blu ray disc with 5.1 audio?

I want to keep my 5.1 audio.

I can change presets for avchd, not for bd.

Please your advise ( bd player is a sony 5100)

Thank you,

Peter, Holland

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to pewi2000

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, PrE does not output to DD 5.1 SS. It will Import DD 5.1 SS, but will do a mix-down to stereo, in either PCM/WAV, or DD AC3 (stereo only).

Even PrPro cannot do an Export to DD 5.1 SS natively, and one must buy the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in, to Transcode to a DD AC3 (5.1).

IIRC, Sony's Vegas (maybe only the Pro version?), can Export DD 5.1 SS, as Sony has a very close relationship to Dolby Labs. Might be worth checking into, if DD 5.1 SS output is important to you.

For my needs, I just use my PrPro with my SurCode DD 5.1 SS Encoder plug-in. I use that so much, that I bought a separate license for each installation of PrPro, that I have.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to pewi2000

When you do the trial of Vegas, do check the capabilities, as the DD 5.1 SS output might be limited to only certain versions. I think that Vegas Pro does have that capability, but verify that - it should be in the program specs.. Sony Vegas is one NLE (Non Linear Editor), that I have never tried, so I cannot speak from experience, and only what I have read about others' experiences.

It also might be that there are some other NLE's, that have a DD 5.1 SS Encoder built in. My copies of CyberLink's PowerDirector, and Magix MovieEdit Pro, are several generations old, and do not, but newer ones might offer that.

As I have the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS Encoder plug-ins for my PrPro programs, I have not explored a lot of other options, as I have not had a need, and am already invested in the SurCode Encoder plug-ins.

Nearly every DVD-Video, or BD Project that I do, has DD 5.1 SS, and I love it. I also do many with supplemental DTS Audio (another, separate SurCode purchase). I could not live without DD 5.1 SS, nor DTS, and the capability to use them has been worth my investment.

Many users feel that Adobe should include the SurCode DD 5.1 SS Encoder plug-in, with PrPro, but that would raise the price by about US $350 per copy, and Adobe has not wanted to raise the price, especially as many users would not want, or need DD 5.1 SS. I can see Adobe's position, as they try to keep the price-point pretty static, and adding $350, is a biggie, especially when some users will never benefit.

Good luck, and please update this thread, when you have had time to explore the Sony, or other products.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to pewi2000

peri2000

Will your blu-ray player support HD file on anything other than Blu-ray disc? If so, what file format on what media?

Are you after Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio specifically or is 5.1 channel audio with alternative audio format acceptable to you?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is a 5.1 SS workflow, that TerraChild posted some years ago: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/511930?tstart=0

I have not followed his steps, as I have several licenses for SurCode, so cannot vouch for its efficiency.

One problem, that one will encounter, is in the authoring stage, as PrE cannot author with a DD 5.1 SS Audio Stream. However, there are other, full-featured authoring apps., that should be able to do that, such as Sony's DVD Architect (check, as there are a couple of versions, and I am not sure that all can do that). Adobe Encore (the authoring app. that I use) can, BUT it is now only available, included with PrPro, and not as a stand-alone program.

The DVD-specs. allow for either PCM/WAV (2-channel), or DD AC3 (either 2-channel, or 6-channel) Primary Audio Streams. They also allow for many Supplemental Audio Streams, such as DTS, or Pro-Logic, but ONLY as a Supplemental Audio Stream - i.e. on the DVD Timeline, but as Audio Track 2, or higher, with either PCM/WAV, or DD AC3, as Audio Track 1. [Sidenote: PAL DVD allows for MPEG Audio, but that has really fallen out of favor, due to potential problems.]

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to pewi2000

Peter

A lot of ifs in the following but just maybe we can get you your AVCHD 1920 x 1080 playing on your player with Output Channels = 5.1 channel, using Premiere Elements 11 as the video editor. As Hunt has said, no way to export Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio from Premiere Elements (any version). But there are some very limited Premiere Elements opportunities to export 5.1 channel with AAC codec to a file saved to the computer hard drive instead. We will focus on the Premiere Elements 11 Windows here.

Several musts to this case:

a. Must be using a Premiere Elements 11 project preset with 5.1 channel in its title. For now let us go with what is and then, if necessary, I will tell you how I figured out how to create a custom "sqpreset" file for the task.

b. If you do not insist on Dolby Digital for audio compression and will accept AAC as the audio codec, then we can proceed.

c. If you can get Full AVCHD.mp4 Premiere Elements 11 export onto your USB stick and are successful at getting playback (video and audio) via that route, then we can proceed.

Here is the suggested short version how to, let us see what happens.

1. In Premiere Elements 11, with Add Media, import your video with its Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio. Make sure that the project preset is, in your case, PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 5.1 channel. With Premiere Elements 11 it wants to be the one setting the project preset. After you Add Media and drag the file to the Timeline (Expert view), check to make sure that was the case. Look for "5.1" in the upper right corner of Audio 1. If that is not the case, then set the project preset yourself before you Add Media. To do that, File Menu/New/Project and select PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 5.1 Channel. Before closing out of the new project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force this Project setting on this project." Proceed if you now see the "5.1 in the upper right corner of Audio 1.

2. Now import your 1920 x 1080 with the Dolby Digital 5.1 channel.

3.The export for this Timeline will be:

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Click on the Advanced Button under that preset and under the Audio Tab select:

AAC as the audio codec

and

Output channels = 5.1 channels.

4. Transfer that Full AVCHD.mp4 to your USB stick and let us know the outcome.

If I take that Premiere Elements export into gspot and MediaInfo, the readout tells me that I have that AVCHD file with AAC 5.1 channel.

More to all this. But let us see if the above shows any promise.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to pewi2000

One possible issue with AAC Audio on BD's, is the support for that format on BD's. This thread might be interesting: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=93597

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points