Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?

Apr 24, 2013 5:10 PM

Tags: #pro #premiere #link #dynamic #encore

I'm stumped. Every time I try to use Adobe Dynamic Link to open a project in Encore from Premiere Pro, I get the dread (Not Responding) window.

Today I have rebooted my system a dozen times and each and every time I try again, it starts to load and then POOF, it just locks up.

This is a large file. It's one single video file in 1080p24 that lasts just over 2 hours. But I hve a pretty powerful PC and this shouldn't be happening.

I'm on CS5 Production Premium in Windows 7.

No doubt this has happened from timeto time with other projects, but a reboot would usually clear up the problem.

UPDATE: This is crazy. An older version without chapter markers (in Prempro) opens. But the version WITH chapter markers will not. But I need those chapter markers. Very confused.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to msp1518

Where in the process does it hang? Do you see the Encore splash screen? Does it get to the Encore new project screen? Does it show processing of the sequence itself as an asset into Encore?

To narrow it down, open Encore, and dynamic link from that end to the sequence (with chapters - now that you know that may be an issue).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to msp1518

I would recommend skipping Dynamic Link and exporting usable assets out of PP.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to msp1518

Use an appropriate H.264 Blu-ray preset.  You'll get a video file (.m4v) and an audio file (.wav) for use in Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to msp1518

Hanging at that point for so long is not a good sign for getting dynamic link to work.

To decide whether to abandon Encore, whether you abandon dynamic link or not, open Encore, when prompted, create a bluray project, then use "File -> Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import Premiere Pro  Sequence. Navigate to  your Premiere PROJECT and click on it ON THE LEFT. PIck the sequence on the right and click okay.

Report your results.

"H.264 Bluray" is the export preset you want, but be aware there was a bug in CS5 for the VBR 2 pass option that caused issues for some users.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to msp1518

H.264 Blu-ray.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to msp1518

The files from that preset should not need reencoding in any authoring program.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to msp1518

the VBR 2 pass thing. So Adobe never fixed it?

It is fixed in CS6. If you read some of the posts, it was not a single issue, and could be avoided, even for vbr 2 pass material for many conditions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 9:16 PM   in reply to msp1518

When I try to open the .M4V in VLC, nothing hapens. Nothing plays.

That's normal.  You'll need this for M4V playback.

http://www.digiarty.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

That's not normal.  I can play M4V files in VLC without issue.

Jeff

EDIT: I can play M4V files that aren't created by Premiere Pro in VLC without issue.  No idea why VLC doesn't like Pr's M4V output.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Some Googling resulted in cautions concerning DAPlayer and Digiarty:

Digiarty has some nice software but they are not a company to be trusted. That's kind of a double standard coming from me because I post their freebies all the time (see my front page deals). I would not let them have my credit card number nor would I let any software update. They have a history of having several different company names under the same umbrella or affiliations with other companies- Wondershare, WinX, etc. Their more well known notorious works include giveawayoftheday products where they spam the votes to make it look like they have thousands of positive votes. They also spam forums with their page links and product info. That's kinda kids' stuff that is not so bad- just more annoying than anything.

Then there's the other problems, rumors, allegations, etc that the company has been involved in-

1. affiliated with Iobit, the company caught stealing signatures from Malwarebytes

2. their dvd ripper is allegedly cracked versions of Slyfox brand

3. affiliated wwith SoThink company, the ones who allegedly had the Firefox add-on trojan earlier this year

About all the above is just rumor except for the forum spamming/vote rigging. So proceed at your own risk. I would think there are capable free movie viewers available besides this one though, maybe VLC or MPC, although I suppose the ability to remove region restrictions would be a plus. If I were you though I would run the Digiarty player with limited right or in a sandbox and only update if really needed.

Use DAPlayer at your own risk.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

No idea why VLC doesn't like Pr's M4V output.

Because they're Blu-ray compliant.  So far, DA Player is the only free software I've found that can play BD video files.  Been using it for about a year without issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Because they're Blu-ray compliant

I'm not sure about that.  VLC won't play back unrestricted M4V files from Pr either.  Additionally, x264 "--bluray -compat" .mp4 files play back just fine in VLC.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Additionally, x264 "--bluray -compat" .mp4 files play back just fine in VLC.

Curious.  Mine coming from the Xvid4PSP front end (using the same switch) won't.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

What version of VLC?  I'm on 2.0.6.  That version also fixed a bug where ALAC audio files wouldn't play.  I used the latest version of MeGUI as an open-source front end just for these tests, and it uses x264 core 130 r2273.

This thread is starting to wander off-topic, so if anyone thinks it needs to be continued I can branch it to one of the lounges.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

My mistake.  My front end actually creates .mts files, not .m4v, which are playable in multiple players.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points