Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Nikon D600 MOV (h.264) files slow in Premiere 5.5

Apr 24, 2013 8:11 PM

Tags: #files #mov #long #nikon #gop #d600

I'm wondering why the Nikon MOV files (h 264, 1080/30p) files stutter in Premiere 5.5. Doesns't matter if "CUDA" is turned on or off. They play back so smoothly in any other media player (Windows Media player, Quick time player, etc. and at full res.)  The similar files from my Canon 7D also play back much more smoothly in Premiere 5.5.  I'm wondering if the Nikon D600 is too new for Premiere 5.5 and if I need to upgrade to version 6.  Any ideas?  The system is running fairly fast - Win7 Pro X64, Intel 3770K (not yet accelerated, 16GB RAM).

Thanks,

Doug A

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 8:14 PM   in reply to Doug-bedfoto

Use Bridge to Batch Rename the extension from .mov to .mpg, then reimport the files.  They should fare better.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 12:02 AM   in reply to Doug-bedfoto

To add to Jim's remark, the reason is the .MOV extension. That causes PR to use QuiRckTime and that is a 32 bit application. It completely destroys the 64 bit nature of PR, thus reducing available memory to around 3.3 GB, even if 64 GB is installed, increasing the swapping to pagefile, slowing down your system even further.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

QuickTime media is decoded through a separate helper process so the memory limitations only exist for that process and not Premiere as a whole.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:31 PM   in reply to Jon Chappell

Still, it's those imitations which can slow down PP's performance with MOV files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to Doug-bedfoto

You can try uploading to Version 6. But when Adobe Premiere Pro  6.0 imports .mov files from Nikon D600 camera,  playback is not smooth(just sometimes).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points