Skip navigation
john_spang
Currently Being Moderated

Errors backing up a full catalog to an external HDD

Apr 25, 2013 4:41 AM

I'm trying to perform a backup and restore to move my catalog from one PC to the next.  I've checked the integrity of the current catalog (repairs, optimize, reconnect, etc.) and all appears well.  I have plenty of free space on the 1TB external drive.

At ~75% complete I continue to get an error message while the backup is being written.  The message pinpoints a particular image -- however the image seems fine and I've deleted the image called out from the catalog and it simply moves on to the next image the next time I receive the error message.  I'm wondering if there is a size limitation?  I have ~30k images in my catalog.

By the way, I'm using PSE 10 and will also restore to PSE 10.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to john_spang

There is no size limtiation in PSE. Can you please post a snapshot of error you are shown?

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 11:14 PM   in reply to john_spang

I have read somewhere that there is a limitation to 30 characters for file names. 

Maybe the same limitation than with renaming ?

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/elements_rename_ field_is_limited_to_30_symbols

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to john_spang

john_spang wrote:

Any other thoughts around this error?  Not able to back up my catalog fully until I resolve this. 

From the description of your first post, the backup ran normally to the end of the process, with the exception of the particular file.

You can check if your backup is complete by having a look at the contents of the backup folder on the external drive : you should see a catalog.buc and a backup.tly files.

You may be able to look at the Organizer log file :

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#Examine _the_Organizers_log_file

For the reason of the impossibility to write the particular file, I don't know. Are you able to copy that file from your explorer to the external drive and open it from the editor ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 2:43 AM   in reply to john_spang

The message pinpoints a particular image -- however the image seems fine and I've deleted the image called out from the catalog and it simply moves on to the next image the next time I receive the error message.

By "the next time", do you mean you have deleted the offending jpeg file from the catalog and attempted a new backup ? Was the backup process frozen after that message ?

Or did you get a similar message with the next image ?

The messages and log can be misleading ; there are other reasons which can result in a backup freeze at a given %.

So, the most important thing is to enable you to complete a full backup (without the offending file(s)) ; the other problem is to find the reason why the precise file is blocking the process.

Also, what is your Windows OS in your present computer and is it the same in the new computer ? That may be useful to know later on for the catalog transfer. I am confident we can solve your problem with the classical backup/restore process, but if that fails, we could use another solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to john_spang

john_spang wrote:

Yes, I deleted the offending image.  I got the same error message pinpointing the very next image in the catalog when I tried the backup process again.

Then, my guess is that the display message has nothing to do with the mentionned file.

You might try several procedures :

1 - the usual solution when the backup freezes is to suspect offending video files :  you delete all video files from your catalog (after making a copy of the original catalog folder). If the backup completes fully, then we have to deal with the video files to find what is wrong.

2 - if you don't use the organizer backup/restore process and use another external backup or copy procedure for your images folders, see :

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Move_y our_photos_1

That involves copying your entire 'Pictures' images folder tree to the new computer and copying the whole folder containing your catalog (database) to the new computer. You'll probably have to 'reconnect' all your files, but that is possible with some patience.

3 - You could also use the 'move' option to move your picture files to the external HD, preferably by moving only parts of the folder tree at one time (in folder view, by dragging and dropping folder trees). However, even if that looks reasonably simple, I don't absolutely trust the move feature when you have the kind of problems you have now.

4 - Even if you want to stay with PSE10, there is a chance that PSE11 would succeed in the backup process. You could install the trial version and try to convert the catalog (which would not change anything to the PSE10 catalog). The conversion could succeed or give a better message. If it succeeds, you could try a PSE11 backup : once again, that could succeed or tell something about the problem.

Anyway, I would first create a copy of the folder containing the database for safety and for further tests. You find the location of that folder in the menu help / system info. That copy could be used in solutions 1 or 2 to pinpoint offending video files or copying to the external drive. Which solution to try first ? probably not solution 3, but we can give more detailed help for other solutions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 1:31 PM   in reply to MichelBParis

I have exactly the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Regards

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 11:39 PM   in reply to UKMike

UKMike wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Regards

Mike

You have the same symptoms.

From my experience there is little chance that the real cause of the problem is the same.

Did you try some of the above suggestions ? Yes, I know, the usual answer is 'I tried everything'...

The most frequent reason is corrupted or unrecognized file types, especially videos.

A question I have not yet asked is if you are using face recognition ?

I don't use it and it seems that may trigger similar error messages and freezes.

What you could do now anyway would be to create a catalog copy for testing and experimenting as explained at the end of post #10.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2014 12:16 PM   in reply to MichelBParis

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your reply. You're right: similar problem - same symptoms.

I have copied all my image files and catalog to my external drive, so hope I have a safe backup but I would still like to get the PSE catalog backup working again.

If you haven't seen my own thread on the matter, my experience so far has been:

My PC is running Windows 7 with 8 GB of internal memory. My external hard drive is formatted to FAT 32 and has 130GB of spare capacity. My catalog is 45GB.

I have previously backed up the the catalog without any problems but can't remember if I did this before I upgraded to PSE 11.

I initially tried doing a full backup but got an error part way through writing the 'breeze' data. Having read that the breeze data was only used for face recognition, I deleted the remaining breeze data files and tried again.

I then encountered a problem when writing some of my early .jpg files. I couldn't see any obvious problem with these but tried removing them and runnning the back up again.

This time it got a bit further but hung up on some .mpg files.

I removed all video files and tried again.

This time it got up to over 60% complete but it then hung up on some early files which had a 'description' 2002 rather than a straight date name to the file. I thought that there might be a problem with file names including ' 's ', so removed these and tried again.

I then tried running Catalog 'optimize' and 'repair' (I didn't tick 'the re-index visual similarity data').

I eventually got up to over 65% complete but couldn't get the backup to go past my 2007 files no matter what files I removed.

I then tried doing an incremental backup using a Catalog file that I had created in 2011. This backup failed with 'an error encountered while writing.....WaldoData\waldo.cache'

I thought that I might have found the solution, yesterday, when I read about a case of someone not being able to write a large number of files to the root directory of an external drive that had been FAT32 formatted, as I had been doing. The solution had been to create a subsidiary file first. I followed this procedure and got the backup to run to over 65% but this time got an error writing a 'My Catalog new\style\nnnnn.xml' file.

Strangely, approximately 21000 .xml; 33000 .xmp and 11000 .jpg files have been written to the external drive when I would have expected the same number of each. It also seems odd that the .jpg files don't start with my earliest image.

I am now tempted to try using an external drive that has been NTFS formatted but any other suggestions or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 12:16 AM   in reply to UKMike

Mike,

Thanks for your answer. I admit I did not connect that thread to your older one...

I'll have to think about all your details and maybe try a few experiments.

A test you can do in the meantime:

- duplicate your catalog folder somewhere on your main drive.

- in the duplicate catalog, delete everything including folders except the catalog.psexxdb database.

- with the organizer closed, double click on the catalog.psexxdb file, which should open the organizer with the new simplified catalog. Let the thumbnails be rebuilt, which can take several hours. You'll have lost face recognition but you should have recovered albums, stacks, kekwords...

- try to backup the simplified catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 5:22 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Hi Michel,

Thank you for your suggestion. This worked fine.

I'm not worried about the face recognition, so, if this is the only information that I am missing, I am quite happy to stick with this version of the catalog.

Out of curiosity, can you please tell me what information the .xmp and .xml files contain?

I am most grateful for your help, as I had spent hours trying to get the backup to work.

Kind regards

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 10:54 PM   in reply to UKMike

xmp files are small text files containing the develop settings used in ACR. Since 'raw' data can't be changed, your sliders settings are saved as a conversion 'recipe'.

xmp files are used for people recognition as well as the breeze data subfolder. Since I don't use that feature, I can't tell you more about them.

Edit: breeze data for people recognition, not waldo data (visual similarity)

Message was edited by: MichelBParis

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 11:30 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Hi Michel,

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This