Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I set Dreamweaver up to NOT use CSS for text styling and instead use basic HTML "font face"

Apr 25, 2013 9:04 AM

Hi,

I'm sick of typing <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font> to style my HTML emails. I know, some here will say that I should use inline CSS, and I would, but I've found some email system strip out CSS, so to be safe, some elements I want in plain HTML.

Unfortunately, Dreamweaver forces me to use CSS if I want to style my text through the properties panel. Is there a way I can use the properties panel, but force Dreamweaver to use HTML styling INSTEAD of CSS?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to garek007

Inline styles should be expressed like this:

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some text here</p>

Guide to CSS support in E-mail Clients

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to garek007

The HTML <font> tag is deprecated and as such is not part of Dreamweaver anymore (that I know of). The <font> tag is not required for HTML email - there is absolutely no issue with most 'basic' inline CSS styles. What email clients do you think are stripping the inline style?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to garek007

I want Dreamweaver to add the [deprecated & invalid] code for me...

Then find a different editor.  Off hand, I don't know of any good editors that produce old school HTML styles anymore.  Probably because you don't it -- even for E-mails.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to garek007

Thr problem with "inline" styling is (as I found last summer when I facelifted a friend's site) that it makes your site HUGE from a file size standpoint. These days that may not seem like a big deal with nearly everyone on a broadband connection, but there are still a sizeable number of people on a limited bandwidth Internet plan with their cell phone provider, and there are still hosting services (GoDaddy is one) that limit bandwidth similarly under certain plans.

The site I facelifted was built with tables and 100% inline styiling (redundant font tags, overlapping styles between <td> cells and the content in them, full size images resized with code, etc.) it was fourteen pages at nearly 75Kb per page when I started. When I was done it was between 11 and 17Kb per page with an 8Kb stylesheet. It looked IDENTICAL to the original build, but it was literally a fifth of the size - pages loaded faster on his cell phone, and his "traffic" went down by about 70% with his provider the following month and each month since.

CSS is not a bad thing. If it was, it wouldn't have replaced inline styiling as the idustry standard.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to garek007

The principle is the same. INLINE styling of each and every word or element adds tons of code to a webpage or an email. Since Dreamweaver is a "web editor" and not an "email" client or editor, I figured the advice would apply.

K.I.S.S.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to garek007

Yes you do need it, in some cases.

I don't think you do. 

I think far too much emphasis is placed on formatted e-mails. Especially given how many people regularly use web mail clients (no images, no html, no css).

If your e-mails don't contain plain text, a vast number of people are going to see nothing unless they opt to click a link to your site -- which is kind of rare.  So all this noise about HTML vs CSS formatting in e-mails is much ado about nothing.  Plain text is and always has been the best way to communicate in e-mails.

Just my 2 cents,

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to garek007

Nancy O. said:

"I think far too much emphasis is placed on formatted e-mails. Especially given how many people regularly use web mail clients (no images, no html, no css)."

That speaks VOLUMES pal. VOLUMES.  Imagine if every letter you mailed was on glossy perfumed paper with an envelope that played a digital tune when the recipient opened it.

While most people might enjoy that, sooner or later, someone would tell you to stop mailing them.

I have a client who, against my advice, went with a web host that only allows 100Mb of mail storage for ANYONE that doesn't pay them an additional $49.99 a year ON TOP of their hosting. She e-mails me artwork to add to her image gallery monthly. Those emails have to be downloaded and deleted or I'll run out of mailbox before two months is up. If she wanted to add 120kb (or more) to each and every e-mail with a bunch of pretty decoration I could really care less about, it would go even quicker, because she emails me sometimes as many as thirty times a day, often referencing past emails. She's quirky, but she pays me and if I want to keep up with everything she's doing and telling me, I have to keep those emails somewhere, so I download them. If I don't want them taking up too much space in my mailbox, I CERTAINLY don't want them taking up too much space on my hard drive.

K.I.S.S.

"Keep It Simple, Stupid" is what my old professor used to say.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to garek007

Don't shoot the messengers, Pal.  You're asking for something that is not possible in current versions of  DW.  Also, un-wanted by anybody except you. So I won't even suggest that you file a feature request.

Best of luck!

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

No pleasing some people so I don't even try.

It's like the fools who ask "What's the best way to embed a full volume MP3 so it plays automatically as soon as the page opens?"

That's like asking "What's the best way to skin a live puppy in front of the children it belongs to?"

Best answer is DON'T.

Good luck with your fancy shmancy email garek007, but you ain't gonna do it in DW and you shouldn't to begin with

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points