Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Development strategy for flash created content to iOs (or Android...), any suggestion?

Apr 25, 2013 9:54 AM

Hi,

I'm a long time Flash developper, and like most have been really disappointed by the absence of the plug-in on the iOs platform; which is alas not in the way of being solved am afraid...

Anyway, I was wondering what were my options to deploy "applications" (dynamic infographics for instance) created with Flash CS6, both for web and mobile devices; here are my (basic) questions:

-is it possible to deploy Flash created content on iOs without it to be an app that must be downloaded by the user?

-does the app need to be exclusively downloaded via the iTunes store or is there another way (let's say a company just wants an app to be available on its agents' iPads)?

-in case of a database-driven app; does the app have the capability to load the variables from a web server (MySQL/php)?

-are there limitations to AIR compared to regular Flash content (besides the obvious)?

-is it possible to load external content (images, flash files?) ?

Thanks for your hints and answers; any suggestion on what's the best strategy to adopt would be greatly appreciated.

David

Replies
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Apr 25, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to davidesieb

-is it possible to deploy Flash created content on iOs without it to be an app that must be downloaded by the user?

yes, to some extent you can use createJS to export flash content to html5

-does the app need to be exclusively downloaded via the iTunes store or is there another way (let's say a company just wants an app to be available on its agents' iPads),

there is another way, you can use "distribute for ad hoc use"

-in case of a database-driven app; does the app have the capability to load the variables from a web server (MySQL/php)?

yes.  (also, an air app can create, edit and delete a local version of mysql databases.)

-are there limitations to AIR compared to regular Flash content (besides the obvious)?

yes, but generally you can do much more with air that web-based flash content

-is it possible to load external content (images, flash files?) ?

yes.  there was a limitation about externally loaded swf files not being able to execute actionscript but that's disappearing and there are work-arounds (using swc's).

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Apr 26, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to davidesieb

-do I have to modify my code (especially in what concerns the database/php access and external images load) when exporting to AIR?

yes, there are no similarities between using the various air SQL classes and using the urlloader class with web-based databases

-are mouse interaction codes still valid for iPads (mouse drag will work with touch and slide) ?

yes, but some changes may be needed.  the simplest is, click events should be replaced by mousedown events.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Apr 26, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to davidesieb

yes, you would use the urlloader to communicate between an air app and web-based php.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Apr 26, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to davidesieb

you're welcome.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...