Skip navigation
Vadaar
Currently Being Moderated

How do I enable OpenGL shadows before I render?

Apr 25, 2013 11:24 AM

Tags: #3d #render #point_light

Either something is weird with my video solution or I'm just not understanding what I'm doing in CS6.

I'm trying to do a 3D tutorial I found on youtube.  Photoshop is not behaving the same way as what I'm seeing however.  I think the problem relates to the OpenGL rendering of the shadows.  See te example pics below. 

This is the scene lit with 1 point light but not yet rendered.  The shadows on the point light are turned off.

Pre-Render no Shadows.JPG

This is the same scene if I turn the shadows on:

Pre-Render with Shadows.JPG

Finally, this is what I get if I render it:

Post-render with Shadows.JPG

It looks how I expect it to, with shadows intact.  My obvious issue is that I can't seem to sort out how to display the shadows correctly on the pre-rendered OpenGL version so I can place my light sources.

I'm using a W7 machine with a Core i5, an AMD 6870 card, and 16 gigs of ram.  The video drivers were updated today.

Also, if I look at the same file on my work computer (with an Nvidia Quadro M card inside) it works fine - the pre-rendered view (with shadows) looks great.

Anyone have thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?  Is there some Photoshop preference or graphics adapter setting I need to be using?

Message was edited by: Vadaar

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to Vadaar

Noel Carboni might have to say something about it as the AMD graphics driver expert in residence. it's definitely a driver issue with specific shader operations not being avialable or working wrongly. If you have installed the latest driver, you might try an older one instead. I think Noel stated that Catalyst 13.1 would be okay...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Vadaar

Try Catalyst 13.4, just released last night.

Catalyst 13.1 and some of the earlier versions had a definite bug where it kind of got things backwards and made light sources seem black.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to Vadaar

Is there any way you can post the PSD?  I can check it here to see if I see the same thing.

Since I did see some blackening of light sources at one point (with older drivers), I have to wonder whether maybe somehow you have an incomplete or corrupted driver installation.

It's also possible something's gone wrong in the document.  3D designs can become corrupted - I've seen it several times.

Here's what I see in Photoshop's Help - System Info, by the way...

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Driver Version: 12.104.0.0

Driver Date: 20130328000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,ati umd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdv a,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Video Card Memory: 2048 MB

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I tried mocking up what you did, but couldn't reproduce the problem...

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 26, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to Vadaar

Thanks for the follow-up.

It disturbs me to hear that a running system cannot be brought to the same level as a fresh install, even with the 10,000 pound bomb method (ATI's removal utility), but who knows what else in a fresh instdall could have affected the outcome.  Anyway, I'm happy to hear it works for you now.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points