Skip navigation
Foto-Acker
Currently Being Moderated

Lots of noise in the windows picture-viewer - What can I do?

Apr 25, 2013 10:46 AM

Tags: #photoshop #windows_7 #windows #elements_10

Hello folks,

I hava a problem I just noticed. My very first pregnancy pictures have a lot of noise after I saved them as a jpg-file. It's a pretty dark picture in Black&White. In Photoshop it looks great and I noticed that it also looks great in Windows 8 new photo-App. Only the "old" picture-viewer shows all the noise that actually isn't there. My problem now is that, if I send the pics to my customers, the could be pretty dissappointed when they see the bad result that really isn't a bad result at all. And it would be pretty stupid to tell them not to use the picture-viewer or ignore the noise that actually isn't there....

_DSC5605 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Now my problem: Did I make a mistake during the saving-progress as a jpg-image?

What needs to be done to have a good-looking result, no matter which software or program opens the picture?

Thanks so much from Germany,

Alexander

PS: The noise is now not seen in the picture above. But it is when I use the picture-viewer.

Screenshot (29).png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to Foto-Acker

It may be the color profile of your picture.

In the photoshop elements 11 editor with the photo open and looking down at the bottom of the document window what is the document profile?

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to Foto-Acker

If you open the original file before you saved it to jpeg and then click on the second entry in your screenshot what does it say?

Untitled-2.png

Also, you can try under Image Mode changing the Color Mode to RGB Color and then convert the profile to sRGB under Image>Convert Color Profile>Convert to sRGB Profile.

Untitled-3.png

Untitled-4.png

I don't believe the regular windows picture viewer is color managed, so using an sRGB profile would be best.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to Foto-Acker

Seems i was wrong about the the windows photo gallery as it does use color management.

I guess i was thinking about the old Windows picture and fax viewer in windows xp.

Anyway, do you have a calibarated monitor, as windows sometimes sneaks in a generic profile for the monitor that can mess up

any windows color management settings you may have set. (windows update does that)

If you follow the steps in this link, do you have any profiles or perhaps two profiles listed for your monitor?

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Color-Management-Settings-in-Windows-8

Untitled-1.png

Also, what settings did you use when saving your jpeg in the jpeg options?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 1:03 AM   in reply to Foto-Acker

I forgot to add to look at your picture in photoshop elements 11 at 100% view (actual pixels) and see if looks okay at that view.

Double click on the Zoom Tool in the tool box to view at 100%

Untitled-11.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 2:59 AM   in reply to Foto-Acker

That's probably ok.

If you haven't noticed that your photos, other than the one this thread is about, looking any different or the colors off, then i wouldn't change anything in the windows color management.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to Foto-Acker

I have looked at your photo in all kinds of different viewers (Windows and others) and I cannot see any offending noise.  If you send the picture at the 1024x1536 dimensions for preview, as in your post, your client should be happy.

For us to further try to investigate the problem you could upload the image as a 100% crop to Dropbox and post the URL here. We can then look at the 'original' pixels with only the cropped area eliminated.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to Foto-Acker

I saw that you posted a version to dropbox over on elements village.

Here's how it looks on a windows 7 system in the windows photo viewer

(the image is a liitle big, but i didn't want to compress it)

The screen resolution 1920 x 1200, but the forum has scaled the screenshot down.

Untitled-1a.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:33 PM   in reply to Foto-Acker

Also, i notice that you have a AMD Radeon graphics card.

There have been quite a few problems with some of the more recent drivers.

So it might be worth a try to update to the latest Catalyst 13.4 release from the amd radeon site, not through windows update.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 3:56 AM   in reply to Foto-Acker

I'm having the EXACT same problem when saving images from Lightroom 4

The image will look great in Lightroom, but when I save it as a Jpeg using sRGB and open it in the Windows Photo Viewer it looks bad in areas.

For example,  I saved a sunrise shot I took the other day, and it looks fine in LR, but in Windows Photo Viewer is has this horrid kind of burned red and green noise in some of the darker areas.

I get the same problem when I upload the image to facebook and I view it in my browser (Chrome).

It's got to the point that i don't want to upload my images as people will see how terrible it looks.

Strangely, the jpegs look fine in both Irfanview and FastStone Image viewer (though I understand those two programs aren't color managed).

What can i do to fix the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Jos_NZ

Are you resizing (compressing) the photo before uploading to Facebook or viewing them in Windows Photo Viewer?  I think that both Facebook and Photo Viewer have problems compressing if you upload/view the full size image.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 9:00 PM   in reply to juergen_d

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've tried both saving as the original size and downsizing

And it doesn't seem to make a difference if I save as .tiff either.

It still has the burned green/red tones in some areas when I open it in WIndows Photo Viewer, or viewing the uploaded image to Facebook. Almost like some posterization.

I just don't get it.

It must be something to do with profiles, as if I shoot in RAW+JPEG from my camera - the jpeg that is produced looks fine in Lighroom, IrfanView and FastStone, but not in Windows Photo Viewer again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points