Skip navigation
Gnome1938
Currently Being Moderated

Duplicate file changes

Apr 25, 2013 3:32 PM

Tags: #organizer #elements_10

My wife has 3000 photos in PSE 10. I would like to duplicate this file for my own use and eliminate the birds, flowers, and etc. from my file without changing her file or pictures.

I would also like to be able to modify my photos with out changing hers.

Is this possible?  

If so, how please?

Thank You

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to Gnome1938

You will want to duplicate the Elements Organizer catalog file. You can find where this file is stored by going to Help > System Info within the Organizer. Go to that location and make a copy of the catalog folder (not the catalog file). Give the duplicate folder a name you will recognize, as this will be the name of the catalog that appears in the Organizer. Then in Elements Organizer, go to File > Catalog and select the duplicate catalog (the name you used when renaming the folder). Then you can make all the changes you like to the Organizer. When you edit files, make sure that you don't save over the original file (use File > Save as) and you will be fine. While you can do this with a single computer user account, it would be simpler with multiple accounts.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Gnome1938

That depends on your OS. Are you using Windows? If so, what version? Or are you using Mac? If so, what version?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to Gnome1938

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to Gnome1938

Your edits are only temporary until you save the file. To avoid affecting the other files (the originals) just don't save over the original. Use File > Save As, this will create a new copy of the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to Gnome1938

Why did you delete the other catalogs? The way you have described your desired setup would require two catalogs (one for you and the images you want to work with, and one for your wife). If you delete all other catalogs, that means that your wife and you will have to work on the one catalog available.

The Folder Location view will only show you the contents of a single folder. So if all of your prictures are in JOHN'S PHOTOS and you have the MY PICTURES folder select, you will not see anything.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to Gnome1938

Yes. If these are duplicates, then open them, make your edits, and save. You won't have to worry about Save As because you already have a duplicate.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points