Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pattern brush

Apr 25, 2013 3:56 PM

Hi,

I am trying to create a pattern brush with the two elements you'll see at the top of the attached file.The perfect square shape should be the corners and the thinner rectangle with the link graphic in it should be in between. I created a pattern brush placing each of those elements where they should be in the Pattern Brush Options Dialog Box, but as you can see in the area I circled in red the thin rectangle element with the link in it is overlapping the edge of the corner element. How can you correct that so that the corners look like they do in the green circled area at the bottom of the image?

Thanks very much!

Modesto_border_adobe.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 4:22 PM   in reply to graph22

I would think that the corner element needs a white background fill for the largest square and needs to be in the back of the stack.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 5:07 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

You need the side tile to be the same size as the corner tiles, especially for the width. Your current corner tile is wider than the side tile, that is what causes the overlap. If the tiles are the same size, things will appear as you expect. (Note, the differnt tile widths can be useful if you want corners to blned into sides a bit)

Snap_002.png

And as Larry points out, if that stroke around the corner is actually a hole in a compound path, you may want to make it a white object instead. Although, if you match the tiles sizes it won't make a difference really.

brushes.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to graph22

The spacing of the tiles is controlled by an unstorked, unfilled rectangle behind the tile's artwork.

Drag the Brush from the Brushes palette. The result will be your original artwork in a nested group. Ungroup it. Then ungroup the side tile artwork. The rearmost object in that former group is an unstroked, unfilled rectangle. Select that rectangle and scale it so that it is the same height as your corner tile. Then make sure the invisible path is still rearmost. Select everything associated with the side tile (including the invisible path), AltDrag it and drop it onto the side tile in the Pattern Brush in the Brushes palette.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 11:55 PM   in reply to graph22

I guess that there is an unfilled and unstroked rectangle as the rearmost object n your artwork, but it is not big enough. Take the layer panel and inspect all the elements in your corner tile.

When you find that rectangle, enlarge it or you might also try and delete it. I don't think it's necessary in this case. Illustrator will create one automatically for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:18 AM   in reply to graph22

Please share the file

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 4:48 AM   in reply to graph22

The principle is illustrated at the top of Scott's first screenshot. The artwork that is contained in the Side Tile of the Pattern Brush needs to have an unfilled, unstroked rectangle as its rearmost object.

When you first define a Pattern Brush, if the artwork does not include that unfilled, unstroked rectangle, Illustrator automatically creates it at the size of the artwork bounds.

If you drag a Pattern Brush that contains artwork in its Side Tile and a Corner Tile from Brushes palette and drop it onto the page, it is a Group. If you Ungroup, then the artwork from each Tile is a Group.

So Ungroup twice. Then just concern yourself with the artwork for the Side Tile. Its rearmost object is the unfilled, unstroked rectangular path. That path needs to be the same height as the artwork from the Corner Tile. Keep it the same width as the Side Tile artwork. After adjusting (or re-creating) it, make sure it is still the rearmost object. Then, with the black pointer, marquee select around the Side Tile artwork. AltDrag it and drop it onto the existing Side Tile of the Brush you are modifying.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to graph22

Could you please post a link to the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to graph22

Sorry, that link will only open my own Acrobat.com space.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote:

The principle is illustrated at the top of Scott's first screenshot. The artwork that is contained in the Side Tile of the Pattern Brush needs to have an unfilled, unstroked rectangle as its rearmost object.

This rearmost rectangle needs to be the same width and height of the corner tile.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 4:49 AM   in reply to [scott w]

This rearmost rectangle needs to be the same width and height of the corner tile.

No, it doesn't. As I stated later in the same post you quoted:

That path needs to be the same height as the artwork from the Corner Tile.

In order for the Side Tile to abut the Corner Tile, its invisible rectangle only needs to be the same height as the Corner Tile:

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to graph22

So far, yes.

Remove the stroke and drag that to the side tile, then drag the corners to their tiles and you should be good.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to graph22

I then made the white unstroked rectangle...

The rectangle must be unstroked AND unfilled. It should not be white. And it must be rearmost (behind the rest of the artwork of the tile).

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to graph22

If those white stripes are simply stroked paths, you might try expanding them before adding them to the brush artwork.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points