Skip navigation
wisteria53
Currently Being Moderated

How do you inactivate the selection tool you are using?

Apr 25, 2013 4:42 PM

Tags: #tools

I need help in some basic steps.  When I select "crop," and crop my picture, I then click on crop again and the step is inactivated until the next crop.  I cannot do that with any other tools.  If I select the quick selection brush and make a selection, how do I get it to do what I want?  Then, after the action is completed, how do I deactivate the quick selection brush?  Thank you. (I have Adobe Photo Elements 11 and my OS is Windows 7, on an hp computer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to wisteria53

You always have some tool active. The only way to make a tool inactive is to select a different tool.

I don't really understand your Crop example. There is a crop tool, which, when used, involves clicking and dragging a rectangle around the area you want to keep, everything outside the rectangle is removed. You can do this as many times as you want while the tool is active. If you are referring to the Crop command, that gets applied to your current selection. The crop command won't do anything new until you have a new selection created.

If you create a selection with the Quick Selection tool, that selection is present until you remove it or modify it. What do you mean by "how do I get it to do what I want?" The Quick Selection tool does what it does, which is it generates a selection by selecting the area you click and drag around within, trying to find borders in your image. This can be used to select the sky in the background of an image, or a person's face or shirt. If this is not what you want to do, you may want to select a different tool. If you are looking to remove or modify the current selection, try the options under the Selection menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to wisteria53

Once you have selected the sky, the Quick Selection tool has done its job. Time to select a different tool, nothing else is supposed to happen. If you want to make the sky green then use a Hue/Saturation adjustment (from under the Enhance menu), for example. The program doesn't know what your intentions are, it just does exactly what you tell it to do. Perhaps you should try working in the Quick or Guided edit modes rather than Expert to get a handle on the types of editing it is possible to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to wisteria53

Further to what Brett N. said, the point of  making a selection is just to tell PSE, "What I do next, I want to happen only to this part of my image, not the whole thing."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points