Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Workflow for a 2hr 26min DVD (need max quality possible)

Apr 25, 2013 5:53 PM

Tags: #worflow #maximum_render_quality #long_dvd

Hey all,

So I have 2hrs and 26min worth of clips (9 in total), Already exported as 1920x1080 ProRes.

They need to be authored to a single DVD.

I know this is pushing the limit of a DVD, but how would you go about getting the maximum quality possible for a DVD of this length in Encore???

Note: I have already tried this once by dropping all the clips into a PPr sequence to work out approx bit rate to use... It estimated a 'Target Bitrate' of 2.8 Mbps for a total file size of 4.5GB.

Perfect... I thought, it took 2 days to render the clips at maximum depth and quality and when I get the final files into Encore, it only adds up to approx 3GB!? Bad estimation on PPr behalf... still 1.5GB worth of quality missing that I need to capitalise on...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to Daniel_Peterson

Popular bitrate calculator: http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php

146 minutes using no significant overhead for menus, only 192 kbs for audio, target is 3,850.

Export a small section, with representative action, at that rate and see how it looks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 7:32 PM   in reply to Daniel_Peterson

Let us know!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to Daniel_Peterson

Daniel_Peterson wrote:

I have 2hrs and 26min worth of clips (9 in total), Already exported as 1920x1080 ProRes. They need to be authored to a single DVD.

I know this is pushing the limit of a DVD, but how would you go about getting the maximum quality possible for a DVD of this length in Encore???

I assume you know that DVD isn't going to accept 1920 x1080, so you'll have to re-export at a lower res, which is what I assume we're talking about here. Just to make sure I'm not off in the weeds as it were.

If you want the maximum quality possible for something that's well beyond 90 minutes, I'd really be looking at a double layer DVD. This would give you double the room, and therefore double the bit rate to play with. I would expect the image quality increase to be easily noticable.  You should be able to carry 720x480 around 8mbps on a dual layer DVD, as opposed to something less than 4mbps for single layer.

I only bring this up because you said "maximum quality possible for a DVD of this length", and a dual layer DVD is still a DVD. All but the oldest DVD players play them fine in my experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to Daniel_Peterson

Already exported as 1920x1080 ProRes.

Exported from where?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to Daniel_Peterson

Thanks! With the lack of dynamic link from PR CC to Encore, this will become even more important!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points