Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Do I need Toast?

Apr 25, 2013 10:47 PM

I'm on a Mac running OSX 10.6.8. I've just received a special offer form Other World Computing to buy Toast 11 Pro for $49, but I have to decide by the end of April just a few days away. I was put off buying Toast last year when I purchased the Adobe Master Suite because of many poor reviews on Amazon, and because a cursory look at the Encore PDF suggested I would be able to burn Blu-rays from there. But, I've noticed a few comments in this forum saying that people don't use Encore's burning capabilities because the burn speed can't be varied.

I'm a complete novice to Premiere and Encore, working my way through the Premiere manual but not having touched Encore yet. So I need some guidance from experienced users. Given that as far as Blu-ray disks are concerned I will only be burning videos, not data, and that I'm using a Mac:

1. Is using the Blu-ray burning capabilites within Encore a reliable solution?

2. What are the pros of using Encore to burn a Blu-ray?

3. What are the cons of using Encore to burn a Blu-ray?

4. Does anyone using Encore use Toast, and what are the pros and cons?

5. Are there any other options for burning Blu-rays out of Premiere, other than Encore and Toast?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to Guy Burns

Most of us frequent helpers in the Encore forum are PC. There does not appear to be as robust a free burning solution for Mac as ImgBurn is for PC. It is not accidental that most of us do not burn with Encore. But some of that is that I don't even try from earlier generations of Encore and hardware. In a variety of tests, I haven't had a failure in CS6.

Someone might be able to answer #5, but I don't recall such a solution.

Since hardware configuration can be a variable, in addition to getting what answers you get here, you should do some tests and see what you get.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:31 AM   in reply to Guy Burns

I have not yet successfully burned a BD from Encore CS6.  Fails every time.  So for me, a third party burning solution is a must have.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 8:07 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

Burning an image is not the same as burning files - the app needs to be able to "burn an image."

No experience with that on Macs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

<Mac has inbuilt burning software. I've never used it to burn

So... create an ISO from Encore and see what the Mac software does with the file... then you will know

I use Imgburn on Windows, and when I double-click an ISO file Imgburn opens and waits for me to put a disc in the drive and start the burning process

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:09 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

Thanks for providing that update.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers