Skip navigation
fletcherlacey
Currently Being Moderated

My indesign keeps crashing when I type in a text box

Apr 25, 2013 11:50 PM

Hello

My indesign keeps crashing when ever I start typing in a text box (CS5) - I followed a similar discussion and the advice was to uninstall and reinstall - I have uninstalled but cannnot find my Master collection to re-install. I'm working on a Mac Leopard - Please Help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 1:25 AM   in reply to fletcherlacey

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Maybe this thread FAQ could be renamed to "InDesign not functioning as expected" or something

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 3:36 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

How is resetting the prefs going to help with a missing installer, Eugene?

@ fletcherlacey, go to http://prodesigntools.com/all-adobe-cs5-direct-download-links.html and you'll find links to CS5 installers you can download. If you registered your software you can retrieve your serial numbers from your account at the online Adobe store. It is imperitive that you read and follow the Important Instructions on that linked page or you will not be able to download the installers.

And next time you might want to verify you can find the disks BEFORE you uninstall something.

If a reinstall doesn't solve the problem, give us more details. If you are on a Mac you can post the crash report on pastebin.com and link to it here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

How is resetting the prefs going to help with a missing installer, Eugene?

It wouldn't ... I misread the issue - apologies.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to fletcherlacey

Did you follow the instructions on that page EXACTLY? That's the only way it works...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to fletcherlacey

Really? Did you go to http://prodesigntools.com/all-adobe-cs5-direct-download-links.html? There's a whole table of links for both the individual apps and the various suite packages, for both Windows and Mac. The master collection is split into two files. You need to mount the .dmg files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to fletcherlacey

I'm a Widows guy with some Mac experience, so these directions may be a bit fuzzy, and someone else may feel free to pop in. My recollection is that you will need to double-click both of the .dmg files (these are disk image files) to mount them, if they don't mount automatically. You may have to decompress the first file further to get it to extract the installer (which should automatically extract the second file). If you are able to run the installer, and enter your serial number, but the number is not recognized as valid it will be because there is some sort of trap for education serial numbers.

If that's the case, you are probably out of luck on CS5, but you may be eligible to upgrade to a full commercial license for CS6, or a discounted Creative Cloud license. I'm not dead certain, but I believe the old serial number should be sufficient to to provide proof of previous license during the install. If that's the route you need to take, you need to do it quickly. Once CS7 is released, and predictions seem to be in about ten days to two weeks from now, at least for an official launch date announcement, your CS5 will probably no longer be good for an upgrade discount.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points