Skip navigation
double nn
Currently Being Moderated

unable to open mp4 files from legato video converter

Apr 26, 2013 8:26 AM

I converted my hi8 tapes to mp4 files using legato video converter.  I am unable to open the mp4 files in adobe premiere 11.  Please help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to double nn

Capturing video from analog sources can be a bit touchy, and most capture devices that are connected to the computer via USB do not produce files that are not compatible with Premiere Elements. Without having Elgato files on-hand, I can't guarantee that these files will work in the program.

That said, please note that you don't "open" video files with Premiere Elements. You import them or Add Media.

Please describe the steps you are taking to add these video files to your project.

What operating system are you using? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to double nn

First, do you have the latest version of Apple's QT Player installed?

Second, MP4's can have all sorts of specs.. When you run one of those files through either G-Spot, or MediaInfo (both great, free file info utilities), what are the exact specs. of those files?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to double nn

If you can't get that converter to work, the AVI files produced by http://www.grassvalley.com/products/converters are supposed to work very well... but I think you do need to have a Firewire connection

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to double nn

double nn

What is the file extension for this file which by your report has AVCHD video compression and mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC audio compression?

What is the frame size and frame rate for these files generated from the Legato Video Converter and the Hi8 tapes?

What alternative export types do have for this Converter?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to double nn

double nn

Thanks for the additional information.

This is what I would like you to try.

Make copies of your present AVCHD.mp4 file. And, then go through the process of renaming the file extension ONLY from:

mp4

to

.mts, m2t, m2ts, .mov, .avi.

Then set up a Premiere Elements 11 new project by

a. Setting your own project preset NTSC DV Standard

To do that, in the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, File Menu/New/Project. Then in the New Project Dialog, set for NTSC DV Standard, making sure that you put a check mark next to "Force this Project setting on this project" before you click OK.

b. Then import your AVCHD.mp4, AVCHD.mts, AVCHD.m2t, AVCHD.m2ts, AVCHD.mov, AVCHD.avi into Premiere Elements 11 with its Add Media feature.

Do any of the files with the different file extensions import?

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to double nn

Ah... I was not clear... you need a Firewire connection in your computer... the Grass Valley device connects to your camera via RCA... go to the GV site for more info

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to double nn

double nn

Can you hear me applauding your success from here? Great, great news.

When you get a chance, could you let us know what was the key in my suggestion

a. the project settings

and/or

b. changing the file extension of the AVCHD.mp4

So very happy for your success. Keep up the good work and thanks for the opportunity to assist in your project.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points