Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

unexpected page breaks in InDesign epub documents

Apr 26, 2013 9:05 AM

Tags: #unexpeted_epub_page_breaks

My InDesign generated epub document is displaying some unexpected page breaks in the text between two paragraphs, which are located at about the middle of the page in the InDesign document. There is no break in InDesign, only in the epub document. I have:

1. Checked the html to look for a hidden page break code. Nothing.

2. Checked the original Word doc to look for a page break that might have been imported. Nothing.

3. Think of the paragraphs as 1 and 2, both are short: I deleted paragraph 1 but then paragraph 2 had a page break after it. Deleted paragraph 2 and then paragraph 3 had the page break after it. Deleting several pages still retains the page break after the location of paragraph 1.

4. Retyped paragraph 1. No luck.

5. Deleted pages 5 through 200, inserted a new page and then reflowed the text using continuous flow. Problem remains and at that point.

6. I am using Export Tagging to split the document into separate InDesign files. There is no split for this tag.

7. Even though paragraphs 1 and 2 have the same tag as all the other paragraphs in this chapter (none of which are breaking), I checked the css to see if there was something, anything that could be causing this. Nope.

8. I inserted the css code in the tag to allow a break in this paragraph code in the middle. Didn't change a thing.

9. Checked to see if there was anything in the text frame that could be causing this. No.

10. Screamed and yelled and ran around until I was exhausted. Surprisingly, this didn't affect the document in the slightest.

If anyone has any suggestions or clues as to the problem, I would be most grateful. Thank you for your time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to ahurani

Not sure if you did this already, but turning Type/Show Hidden Items in ID shows something?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to ahurani

I guess that particular paragraph style is not tagged to split in your document, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to ahurani

Another idea is to turn Story Editor: Edit/Edit in Story Editor and see if something shows up there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to ahurani

First, before you start over, restore your InDesign preferences.

Here's how:

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to ahurani

Something I wanted to ask right away: "What aoftware are you using to *view* the epub with?"

But I see in the screenshots you are using Adobe's own Digital Ed viewer.

> it appeared to break at approximately the same epub page as before.

Have you considered it might be something in the viewer? (Such as a maximum number of characters in a document or section, or a maximum number of paragraphs.)

Try another viewer and see if the same happens in the *exact* same place.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to ahurani

Did you run it through epub check to see if something comes up there?

Or, Open in a program like Sigil where you can alternate between Book View and Code View and see what is causing that gap.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points