My InDesign generated epub document is displaying some unexpected page breaks in the text between two paragraphs, which are located at about the middle of the page in the InDesign document. There is no break in InDesign, only in the epub document. I have:
1. Checked the html to look for a hidden page break code. Nothing.
2. Checked the original Word doc to look for a page break that might have been imported. Nothing.
3. Think of the paragraphs as 1 and 2, both are short: I deleted paragraph 1 but then paragraph 2 had a page break after it. Deleted paragraph 2 and then paragraph 3 had the page break after it. Deleting several pages still retains the page break after the location of paragraph 1.
4. Retyped paragraph 1. No luck.
5. Deleted pages 5 through 200, inserted a new page and then reflowed the text using continuous flow. Problem remains and at that point.
6. I am using Export Tagging to split the document into separate InDesign files. There is no split for this tag.
7. Even though paragraphs 1 and 2 have the same tag as all the other paragraphs in this chapter (none of which are breaking), I checked the css to see if there was something, anything that could be causing this. Nope.
8. I inserted the css code in the tag to allow a break in this paragraph code in the middle. Didn't change a thing.
9. Checked to see if there was anything in the text frame that could be causing this. No.
10. Screamed and yelled and ran around until I was exhausted. Surprisingly, this didn't affect the document in the slightest.
If anyone has any suggestions or clues as to the problem, I would be most grateful. Thank you for your time.
I have also tried breaking the document into separate InDesign files to see if that was affecting the break. Nope.
I have also tried giving everything in the document the same body tag. Nope.
It's not in the paragraph itself because removing just transfers the break to the following paragraph.
Excuse me while I go off into the corner and blibber for a little bit.
I scurried back to InDesign and checked that out. Unfortunately, hidden characters was already turned on to reveal anything hidden. Clicking it several times did nothing but annoy the computer.
Thank you for responding.
Ellis, (4.) No, that particular tag is not tagged to split the document and I removed all tags that did when I tried breaking the document into separate InDesign files. I also tried the Story Editor, but nothing was in there either. I'm flummoxed, gobsmacked, and bamboozled! I've read forums and help sites and who knows what else. Nothing addresses this problem. Hmmm, it might be me! Naw. I guess I can just start over to see if the problem reoccurs. Oh joy.
Any other suggestions will be tried immediately. One of them could work!
Thank you so much for responding. I do appreciate it.
Unfortunately, neither of these suggestions worked, which is a real bummer.
I also tried starting over by just importing a single Word doc (all formatting cleared) into a new InDesign document. I did not format in any way besides highlighting all text and applying the basic tag and clearing all over-rides.
The epub still broke between paragraphs, but this time it was between different paragraphs. However, it appeared to break at approximately the same epub page as before. I've been through every InDesign setting for page setup or layout, and I find nowhere that controls page breaks at a specified page. Neither does Digital Editions or Nook.
Below is a screen print of the epub offending page. I included a slice of the facing page to show where the page should end. The next image shows the following paragraph starting at the top of the page.
I've tried removing the leaf and all that does is move the break from below the paragraph shown in image 1 to below the first paragraph in image 2.
Thank you for your help. It's probably a "Duh" something I'm missing, but I'm missing it pretty well.
Something I wanted to ask right away: "What aoftware are you using to *view* the epub with?"
But I see in the screenshots you are using Adobe's own Digital Ed viewer.
> it appeared to break at approximately the same epub page as before.
Have you considered it might be something in the viewer? (Such as a maximum number of characters in a document or section, or a maximum number of paragraphs.)
Try another viewer and see if the same happens in the *exact* same place.
I have been checking the epubs in ADE, Sony Reader for PC, and in the Nook for PC. I don't have a Kindle available, haven't tested it on the iPad yet, and Mobi doesn't have a download (that I can find) for Windows 8.
In ADE and Nook, the break occurs at exactly the same point, even when I change the screen size and therefore change the page count.
In the Sony Reader there is no problem, for which I am grateful but it confuses the issue even further. I had originally thought it was something in the Word doc, but now it appears that you are closer to the root of the problem. I will try to find the controls for the maximum characters or paragraphs to see if that corrects the problem. If it does, I'll be doing my little Snoopy dance.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Thank you everyone for replying to this problem. Unfortunately, I have found no solution. The issue was dismissed at B&N as a problem with the manuscript (despite the fact that it happened even in a rtf file) and the contact either refused to discuss maximum numbers of pages or characters or did not know. Searching for a way to control that setting on the web brought no results. If I ever find a solution, I will return and describe what to do. In the meantime, oh well.