Skip navigation
Jville1842
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to capture video from Sony Handycam

Apr 26, 2013 9:22 AM

I am running Premiere CS6 on Win7 Ultimate 64bit. My Handycam is connected via Firewire PCI board. Premiere recognizes the camera, and I am able to use the capture window to move the tape FW and rewind, but when I attempt to play the tape, Premiere bombs and goes to the desktop. I had selected standard capture NTSC since the Handycam isn't HD. I am able to capture the same video without any problems in Vegas and Pinnacle. Is it the settings? Any help would be appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 4:27 AM   in reply to Jville1842

I have a Sony Handy Cam also and I reverted to using a DUO Pro Stick. It's easier to record video/pics to the memory card. Then you can simply plug your USB cable to the camera and drag/drop the video files to your computer and from there you can open/import them into Premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to Jville1842

All possible solutions are listed in this document.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82848.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Jville1842

Am I correct in presuming that your camcorder is Standard Definition and uses MiniDV tapes to record the video and memory ticks for the still images?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to Jville1842

I had the earlier PC100 for many years and did occasionally have problems with capture whenever I upgraded my PC (I have built my own for the last 20 years).  Premiere has had issues with certain chipsets on PCI boards for a few years, also the PCI card has to have the correct drivers installed and probably your card let Windows install its own drivers.  The link that Ann posted should have the information to solve your problem, I have looked though it and it uses the same process that I used on my old Win7 PC when a new PCI Firewire card did not work after I fitted it.  If this does not work for you then a new card PCI with Texas chipset may solve your problem

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Jville1842

Did you set the firewire driver to legacy?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points