Skip navigation
Con.Form
Currently Being Moderated

how do i join multiple paths to make one object.....

Apr 26, 2013 9:33 AM

Tags: #illustrator

.... so as to be able to apply a fill over the whole object?? 

This might sound more obvious than it actually is in this case so i'll explain.  My partners artwork contains a lot of linework and unfortunately, i can't get the degree of accuracy i need with a continous path.  Therefore, the problem i have is joining lots of paths (some of which have endpoints joining midway through other paths) to make a single object with the strokes preserved, so i can apply a fill to the overall object or to individual sections. 

I've tried unite, join and all the other commands that i'm aware of but all give undesired effects.  I've tried using a compund path but all that does is make them act as one but still doesn't do what i need with regards to filling the object.

A simplified example of what i need to achieve is this...... create a square using 4 seperate paths and then a cross through the middle using more seperate paths to create a 4 box square.  I need to be able to make this one object so i can fill each individual square a different colour if need be?? 

This is something i've found i will need to be able to do on a regular basis so any help is gratefully received

Thanks for any help in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to Con.Form

Check out Live Paint groups in the Help files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to Con.Form

What tool did you use to create the paths?

The Pen is what you want for long continuous paths.

A square (Rectangle tool) with a cross through it (Line or Pen tool) is easy to colour if you make it into a Live Paint group.

Following that you may (but don’t have to) expand the group as you wish.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points