Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pre 11 h264 + AC3 problem. Codec?

Apr 26, 2013 10:46 AM

Tags: #h264 #ac3 #codec #pre11

Hi community,

After importing a TS file, recorded via DVB-C and containing h264 with ac3 audio, Pre 11 behaves strange. The organizer tells me that a codec is missing if i want to open the video file. It also says that there is no audio. However, if i import the file into the editor it adds a very strange audio track. At the beginning, where the advertisement is, the audio is normal, but exactly when the film starts I only hear the background sound without any voices.

As VLC needs very long loading time if i want to watch the film, I expect a codec problem. well, WMP plays the movie normal. Therefore I tried this codecs:

http://ac3filter.en.softonic.com/download

http://www.chip.de/downloads/K-Lite-Codec-Pack-Full_23300366.htmlhttp://codecguide.com/klcp_update.htm

http://www.windows7codecs.com/

Which other codec could I try or do you expect another problem?

Best regards

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to Asembler1387900

The DVB-C apparently is producing a non-standard AVC file.

What do you mean by a "TS file"? Do you mean an MTS?

What model of camcorder is this video coming from? It would be best to edit it in its native format rather than convert it to a format that is, apparently,  not compatible with consumer software.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to Asembler1387900

>recorded via DVB-C

Is that a camera, or software that records some kind of streaming video?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:51 PM   in reply to Asembler1387900

It is likely that with video recorded from a TV broadcast signal, you are getting a stereo/2-channel Stream for the commercials, but the TV show is in DD 5.1 SS, and you are only getting part of that - probably just the LS and RS channels. The LF and RF, plus the Center Channel (where most dialog will usually be), are being lost.

Not knowing your recording program, I cannot tell you how to adjust it, for DD 5.1 SS capture and output. That will be a DD AC3 Stream too, but 6-channel, and not 2-channel.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to Asembler1387900

>WMP plays it normally

Play -VS- Edit http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1066154

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to Asembler1387900

It might, but only if the full 6-channels are included in the Audio Stream. If so, many programs, like Adobe Audition, can extract each channel, to be edited separately. Then, one could adjust, say the LF, RF and Center channels, as needed.

Though in a playback environment, I had similar with my master bedroom home theater system. I had a single-stage video receiver, which was DD 5.1 SS, and did a great job for just the bedroom. However, I had the audio feed going to the master bath, as well. That did not work well, as the stereo mixdown came from the LS and RS feeds ONLY. Hence, when there was a stereo signal, then I got good audio in the bathroom, but when the source was DD 5.1 SS, I only got LS & RS, so all dialog was missing. To counter this, I upgraded that receiver to a two-stage unit, and the second stage did the complete mixdown, of ALL 6-channels to traditional stereo, and suddenly, the dialog appeared from either 2-channel, or 6-channel source material.

The first thing that I would do, would be to take one of your video files, and run it through G-Spot, or MediaInfo, to see if you ARE getting the full 6-channels (or at least the "big 5," LF, RF, C, LS and RS - LFE is not really necessary, except for Hollywood productions, where there IS real LFE material). If you have 5 - 6 channels of Audio, then a program, like Audition, can help you out.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Asembler1387900

OK, you do have 6-channel, so you can use one of many audio-editing programs (do not know that many, as I use Adobe Audition almost exclusively) to get what you want. I would go for a sub-mix of LF + RF + C, and leave LS, RS and LEF out, unless you want the LFE's and some ambiance from the LS and RS.

PrPro CS 6 has the ability to breakout to mono, for 6-channel Streams, and one can map, re-map or use sub-mixes to get what you want, but I do not think that there is a way to easily breakout a 6-channel Stream to the mono components.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points